Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to know you all a little better
Getting to know you all a little better
Well I've been here a day and already I've met plenty of interesting people. It strikes me though that other than your usernames and the fact that you're interesting I know very little about anyone. I created this thread to rectify that, even if just a little bit.

I'll start. I work in a supermarket as team leader/duty manager at weekends, and in an after-school club at my local primary school during the week. I can tolerate my weekend job (though if I have another weekend like this one I'll kill myself) but I don't particularly enjoy it. I absolutely love my job working with kids though and I'm doing a playwork diploma at college.

In my spare time I like sleeping (lots), drinking with my friends, playing PS3, and watching films or sports.

Plus, I love the film Kick-Ass. Like totally love it, I'm known for loving it.

Anyone else?
'Always you have to contend with the stupidity of men' - Henry David Thoreau
RE: Getting to know you all a little better
[Image: tumblr_ls86k4MTEo1qgs1ido1_400.gif]
I'm a writer. The kind that gets paid and works. Funny, I still might as well be the homeless, not successful until you're dead kind. I have OCD, which might seem irrelevant, but it takes up a lot of my mental space and time. I spend most of my time, even my work time, with our esteemed forum creator Tiberius. I also happen to be dating him, but that is irrelevant in the context of this forum unless we're being specifically sappy. Let's see. I have a huge family. Sometimes it makes me insane, but I love it most of the time. I am divorced with no biological children. I like video games, board games, pretty much anything that involves being outdoors.

I'm newly obsessed with Doctor Who. This is highly relevant fact. British boyfriend + Discovery of love for Doctor Who = Best. Year. Ever.
I'm retired and I live in the Stupidest State in the Union - Arizona. I spend most of my time volunteering for a dog rescue group and I work harder there than I ever did for the fucking government.
I live in Florida and am going to school to become a graphic designer. I'm 1.5 semesters away from graduation. My other areas of study (or minors, lol) are advertising and psychology.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
This was a good idea Hughsie. I've learned things I didn't already know about people.

Good on you Min for your work with dog rescue. We put my wife's aunt and uncle up to getting another dog in their early 80's when they didn't think they'd be around for another one. He -Fletcher- is the dog in my avatar here and my best canine friend ever. When Lia's uncle came home to die of bone cancer he grabbed my hand and said he wanted me to take Fletcher. I was happy to assure him he'd always have a home with us. At 13 now he is such a mellow boy and has always had a winning way with strangers, kids and other dogs. But being raised by octogenarians he is still profoundly unclear on the concept of a command. Fortunately his judgement and smarts are so good he rarely needs one.

I have taught mathematics to young people for more than twenty years and will probably go on doing so for a few more years. I started out as a math major in college but finished up as a philosophy major. My wife is an artist who teaches at a private art school here in the San Francisco bay area. We play cards with nearly every meal we have together. We walk with the dogs every day. Aside from her and the dogs - the other one is a three year old Texas Heeler who will have been with me for two years at the end of this month - my main passion is making my garden.
I'm at the moment studying to become a pharmacists and I work part-time at a pharmacy as a technician (next spring I'll start my vocational training there, doing actual pharmacist stuff, yay!). Before this I went to nursing school for two years and worked as a practical nurse on the side.

I play the piano (have done it for 16 years, but I'm no good unfortunately), read loads of books and draw. Since I'm the chairperson of our student organization, a lot of my spare time goes to that and because of an active student life I also party quite a lot (though I have gotten old and do not drink so much anymore). And obviously I hang here a lot.
I'm also a casual gamer. When my parents moved to Sweden, me and my dad decided to start a new hobby together in order to keep contact, and we started to play Guild Wars. Thus I was drawn into the fantastic world of RPGs. Nowadays I've played GW, GW2, WoW and SWTOR. When I don't play mmorpgs, I play Dragon Age: Origins, DA2, Mass Effect -series and have tried out Skyrim among others.
The latest game I tried out was Dungeons&Dragons, my bf is the DM of our campaign, me and two of my best friends wanted to try and then some additional people tagged along. It's really fun!

Yeah, so that's the gist of it Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I'm semi-retired (no job, but too young for a pension) and volunteer one day a week at my cousins model shop. Rest of the time watch tv and read, go to cinema, and fritter my life away on internet forums. Just about to move in with my partner (who is also my cousin - but that's legal here - not the cousin with the shop, another one, I have about 20 cousins). She has a dog, 3 cats, and a very noisy parrot. Do you rmember the scene in the film Alien where the creature bursts out of John Hurts stomach, lets out a blood-curdling scream, then runs off ? Well that's the noise this parrot makes. Don't know how long I can put up with that !! Parrot pie might be on the menu.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Welcome Hughsie

Aussie here. Live in Perth, which is not as wonderful as the locals would have you believe. Mated to Zen Badger, which is a job in itself... I'm his PA Sad.

Doing the marriage thingy in December so at the moment I am busy co-ordinating flights (for the East Coasters of the family) sewing my dress for the event and generally running around like a meshugenah.

I am expecting delivery of my Kawasaki Ninja 300 by the end of the year and looking forward to getting my R-Class licence next year (maybe). I am retired and spend most of my time being PA to both Zen and my son (Asperger's Syndrome). In fact my whole day revolves around trouble shooting and taking calls from them both. My daughter is in Sydney studying for her BA Sc- Geoscience (and likes to call Zen for a rant every other day.)

I prefer white underwear (hold on the lace), love bacon (not necessarily for underwear), fast bikes, solid males who can hold an intelligent conversation on topics other than sport, loathe sports (except sex- which I consider a sport) but the highest priority is my garden...like SummerQueen, I LOVE plants!!! The fact that I can make a meal out of them is another bonus.

My eyes are brown and the rest changes without notice Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I am a first year college student studying graphic design with emphasis on typography and applied design. I am in an awkward position of hating to draw things (which is 80% of my work) but not being bad at it. I am near-encyclopedic on all things Pokémon. I live in a beautiful part of South Africa. English is my second language (of three). My favourite film director is Sofia Coppola. Favourite band is The Radio Dept.

And welcome Hughsie! Perhaps I'll think of some more things later.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yeah you know what? Fuck it. Fuck God and fuck all religions. Gentle_Idiot 12 1452 October 12, 2022 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1154 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  BrianSoddingBoru4 is a gutless little shithead. AustralianAtheists 60 3431 December 9, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Let me get to know more about you.... KittyAnn 46 6163 November 21, 2017 at 6:52 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Getting tired of Trumpets and Flat Earthers Coveny 17 1753 September 8, 2017 at 9:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2135 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Back again with a better head. LivingNumbers6.626 16 1927 July 6, 2016 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  You all did it... Thank you Qwest 28 3666 December 12, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Little About Me Wolf Denn 20 2891 May 14, 2015 at 1:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A little bit about me reasonablerob 17 2761 May 6, 2015 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain