Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tick tock: Protestantism no longer the majority faith in U.S.
Tick tock: Protestantism no longer the majority faith in U.S.
Reason? "The number of Americans with no religious affiliation is on the rise."
RE: Tick tock: Protestantism no longer the majority faith in U.S.
It pleases me to think I shall see the death and decline of religion before I depart from this life unto- well, nothingness.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(October 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm)System of Solace Wrote: It pleases me to think I shall see the death and decline of religion before I depart from this life unto- well, nothingness.

I don't think religion will ever completely go away. I do think however there will be a shift away from religion and political party and nationality becoming less of a priority and a growing understanding of our common condition. In that sense I think there will be a death to the oportunity for any one group to have a monopoly.

I think the age of the internet exposes more of what we have in common as a species and I can see that as minimizing our evolutionary tribalism.
(October 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm)System of Solace Wrote: It pleases me to think I shall see the death and decline of religion before I depart from this life unto- well, nothingness.

I don't think religion will ever completely go away. I do think however there will be a shift away from religion and political party and nationality becoming less of a priority and a growing understanding of our common condition. In that sense I think there will be a death to the oportunity for any one group to have a monopoly.

I think the age of the internet exposes more of what we have in common as a species and I can see that as minimizing our evolutionary tribalism.

Death as in Europe, where religion has already lost most of it's footing.
Decline as in America. Although it is slowly happening right now, I doubt the tangled roots of religion will be completely pulled from American soil for a long time.
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
Quote:I doubt the tangled roots of religion will be completely pulled from American soil for a long time.

It just needs to get less lucrative for the con artists who push it on the trailer trash.

That will be a big enough achievement.
(October 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I doubt the tangled roots of religion will be completely pulled from American soil for a long time.

It just needs to get less lucrative for the con artists who push it on the trailer trash.

When we have preachers in cowboy hats telling children Jesus rode dinosaurs?

Besides, con artists at least know that what they are advertising is false.
This is delicious. It tastes so scrumptious to my mind.
(October 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm)System of Solace Wrote: Death as in Europe, where religion has already lost most of it's footing.
Decline as in America. Although it is slowly happening right now, I doubt the tangled roots of religion will be completely pulled from American soil for a long time.
Europe still has a long way to go, but many countries are ahead of USA. And countries such as uk, which in general is miles ahead of USA, still has a vocal and politically active anti-secularism camp. There was a fringe anti-gay marriage meeting of the governing political party just yesterday or the day before in UK. Full of religious none sense and "amen". A former archbishop even likened the pro-equality majority as like nazis victimising the jews where the pto-lifers are the jews. Sickening Irony.
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
(October 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm)System of Solace Wrote:
(October 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It just needs to get less lucrative for the con artists who push it on the trailer trash.

When we have preachers in cowboy hats telling children Jesus rode dinosaurs?

Besides, con artists at least know that what they are advertising is false.

I think they know it is false. As Ehrman pointed out in one of his books the Historical-Critical method has been taught in seminaries for a long time now. They've all been drilled on reality but when it is time for them to be given a flock of sheep to fleece they forget everything they learned and tell the dumb fuckers what they want to hear.
Things can change very rapidly and it's happened before in America. Consider that I was born in 1968. In my lifetime, we went from segregation to electing our first black president. Perhaps a similar enlightenment will happen with religion in America.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 12580 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1997 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1443 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 33617 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2772 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7814 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8745 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12557 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4646 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37572 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive