Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lurking since my deconversion, finally posting
Lurking since my deconversion, finally posting
Hey, I never know what to say on these things. I've been a Christian for most of my life, but I've recently read the bible, and can't seem to agree with the god of Christianity. I do have a weird question though.

I was talking to my mother recently (She's Agnostic) and she had mentioned several times how she sees dead people, demons, and angels. I've never really known what to make of it, but last night she was talking about it with me and my brother, and she mentioned how she has spoken to Baal, and told him to fuck off. She then described him, and it was pretty accurate from what I know of him. So...I really don't know what to make of it. I have no sense of stuff like that, but my wife (who's a Christian) and my mom seem to sense stuff like that regularly. What should I make of that? Obviously I don't want to think they're crazy, but at the same time, I can't really think of another secular explanation of those events. Anyone have any ideas?
RE: Lurking since my deconversion, finally posting
Quote:She then described him,

I'll bet he looked just like his pictures, too.

Welcome.
Welcome.

The human brain can induce all kinds of fuckery, so there is that.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Hi there and welcome to AF!

Being atheist only means 'without god'. So, one can be atheist and believe in spirits and ghost (though often atheists tend to be skeptic towards those things too). I hate to say it, seeing and hearing things that others cannot, is never a good thing.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yeah, that was another thing I thought, but its not like she is trying to get me to believe. It is totally a possibility she just wants to be right lol. So that's fair enough too. Definitely interested into looking into the weird things your brain can mess with you. I've seen a lot of stuff concerning ghosts, which works for me, but I just thought the description was weird. Thanks
Welcome
Hiya, newbie.

Being an atheist just means you don't believe in God, which still leaves the door open for some pretty absurd stuff. Demon possession is one of those examples of absurd things you can believe in without belief in God.

Me, my simple rule of thumb is to be critical of everything; if it's legit, it can stand up to my questioning. If it's silly superstition, it usually doesn't take long to realize that.

Me, I'm kinda curious what her description of Baal was. I mean, that's one of those things that seems to get a different look depending who's describing him (although, the generic modern day demon is usually pretty damn common).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Hi there and welcome to AF!

Being atheist only means 'without god'. So, one can be atheist and believe in spirits and ghost (though often atheists tend to be skeptic towards those things too). I hate to say it, seeing and hearing things that others cannot, is never a good thing.

That's why I am asking lol. I was pretty skeptical, but that threw me off I do know it gave me a really cool idea for a novel, so there is a good chance I will be writing one based on the stories she's been telling me, with some stuff I'm thinking of. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it

(October 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Hiya, newbie.

Being an atheist just means you don't believe in God, which still leaves the door open for some pretty absurd stuff. Demon possession is one of those examples of absurd things you can believe in without belief in God.

Me, my simple rule of thumb is to be critical of everything; if it's legit, it can stand up to my questioning. If it's silly superstition, it usually doesn't take long to realize that.

Me, I'm kinda curious what her description of Baal was. I mean, that's one of those things that seems to get a different look depending who's describing him (although, the generic modern day demon is usually pretty damn common).

She mentioned that he stunk (but she says that with all demons) that he was huuuuuge, and that he had a balding head, kind of like a jackal with scabies. I don't remember the rest of that one, but there was another one she mentioned that looked a lot like a grey fetus with long arms and legs. She also mentioned that the angels were a lot scarier, and that Gabriel looked like a super bright light lol
There's the quite secular possibility it might be flashbacks (recalling an event/image/feeling, PTSD for instance), hyperimagination (experiencing new data as real events/images/feelings), hyperreality (inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from a simulation of reality, watching linked video should give a good example), and conspiratorial misinterpretation Smile Yes, 'craziness' is quite likely... but to sum up very individual diagnosis under such a broad label would not be doing justice to the reality of the disorder(s) they may possess.

Course, there's also the simpler solution that they are a compulsive liar, but you don't want to hear that Tongue

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20819683RjhR3ftp

(must be watched onsite, click lower right corner)

(Edit: My bad, thought it was the whole movie. It shines in its second half. Psychological horror.)\

(Edit2: HOWEVER, you can download the full video in a link beneath it on the site)
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: There's the quite secular possibility it might be flashbacks (recalling an event/image/feeling, PTSD for instance), hyperimagination (experiencing new data as real events/images/feelings), hyperreality (inability of consciousness to distinguish reality from a simulation of reality, watching linked video should give a good example), and conspiratorial misinterpretation Smile Yes, 'craziness' is quite likely... but to sum up very individual diagnosis under such a broad label would not be doing justice to the reality of the disorder(s) they may possess.

Course, there's also the simpler solution that they are a compulsive liar, but you don't want to hear that Tongue

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20819683RjhR3ftp

Knowing my mom, it is totally possible, but she definitely believes it. The difference between my moms and my wife's is simply that my moms stories are much more interactive with more of her senses being activated. (They all involve smells, feelings, sounds, etc.) my wife just sees basic supernatural stuff or hears it, so those are usually pretty easy to explain, though I don't do that, cause I don't wanna be a dick lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jeff Bradt, user since 2013, becoming active JP Bradt 42 6189 March 15, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Funny and humiliating deconversion story nickbarca 6 595 October 14, 2020 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello everyone. I've finally worked out... FebruaryOfReason 19 1939 February 6, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Finally i can disprove fundamentalist christians Rokkein 13 2569 December 12, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Deconversion of a prospective priest Aaran 28 3578 June 29, 2015 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  FInally stopped lying to myself, now a little lost. hookakat1 39 7178 July 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Rahul
  Nice to finally have people to talk to about atheism wower032 19 4345 June 30, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Finally Home AZatheist 10 1742 January 28, 2013 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Hello!!!! Finally a place I can feel at home! mohnjorrow 21 4232 January 24, 2013 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Metallica
  I've finally awakened! AtcAtheist 40 8829 September 20, 2012 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Angrboda