Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
" War, what is it good for? "....Edwin Starr.
" War, what is it good for? "....Edwin Starr.
The last-surviving British soldier of WW1, Harry Patch, died recently at the amazing age of 111.
Predictably, the establishment has been quick to sing his praises, with talk of the " sacrifice " his unfortunate generation was fated to suffer,along with other platitudes seeking to justify the carnage of the so-called " Great War " ( the biggest misnomer ever?? ).
What they will not voice of course is Harry's take on what happened:

" War is organised murder and nothing else "

" It wasn't worth 1 life "

" The politicians who took us to war should have been given the guns and told to settle their differences themselves, instead of organising nothing better than legalised murder."

And Harry didn't just talk the talk, he and his mates made a pact to avoid killing the enemy whenever possible, choosing to wound rather than kill.
I don't subscribe to the concept of " war hero "; " war victim" is more apt.
But Harry Patch was truly a hero for the common man.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: " War, what is it good for? "....Edwin Starr.
I completely agree with everything you said! Thanks for posting that Smile I especially hate when (In america) people say that soldiers are fighting so that we can freedoms (such as freedom of speech, ect.). That may have been true in the revolution but soldiers fighting for iraqi's has little to do with my personal freedom of speech or freedom of most things really.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
Yup, great post bozo.
The soldiers in Iraq are fighting for the freedom of the people. Iraqi people.

Are they somehow less deserving of freedom than we are? Sorry if it sounds like a campy 1960s super-hero comic book line, but I am of the mind set that where ever people are oppressed, where ever dictators are seeking genocide or ethnic cleansing, where ever people are denied life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that is where we (as Americans) should find our soldiers.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
..Instead of in Iraq (necessarily) attempting to secure the oil situation.
(July 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: ..Instead of in Iraq (necessarily) attempting to secure the oil situation.

This statement makes no sense.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
(July 27, 2009 at 5:45 pm)Dotard Wrote: The soldiers in Iraq are fighting for the freedom of the people. Iraqi people.

Are they somehow less deserving of freedom than we are? Sorry if it sounds like a campy 1960s super-hero comic book line, but I am of the mind set that where ever people are oppressed, where ever dictators are seeking genocide or ethnic cleansing, where ever people are denied life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that is where we (as Americans) should find our soldiers.

Fine sentiments, but America's involvement in interfering where it sees fit is inglorious, so I have no hesitation in rejecting your premise.
Anyway, do you want to see America policing the world? You'll need to spend all your wealth and build bigger cemeteries for your " glorious dead " if you have your way.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
@bozo

Neither you nor I nor anyone else knows "why" US troops are fighting anywhere as individuals. " To free the people" is not a sentiment I ever heard from the several hundred Vietnam Vets with whom I served. ( I am NOT a vet) However, I think it's likely that at least some US soldiers are naive enough and gullible enough to believe that shit.

NATIONS never,ever, go to war on moral principle.Politicians use sentiments such as patriotism freedom and religion to con the poor dumb bastards who do the actual fighting and dying.

I think there is a common misconception of the US as the world's police. US interference in the affairs of other countries occurs only when it is perceived to be in the best interest of the US. That is what powerful nations do. The good news is that that kind of power is only temporary.
I agree with your post padraic. If you look at all the wars in history most of them started because of some person's hunger for power or wealth, there is no feelings or morality in a war. When it comes to solving the world's problems Americans always self-appoint themselves as the savior of freedom, which in my opinion is only a pretext for political and economical reasons.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
That's nice. Let's just call Dotard and those like him "Dumb Bastards" and that should prove the point that politicos must 'con' their soldiers into going to war. Throw in a couple 'naive's and 'gullible's to emphasize the point.

Good move.

That's one opinion padraic, I just don't happen to share it. Nor did the 'several hundred' [Image: Whatever_anim.gif] soldiers I did serve with.

But then again, they were just a bunch of dumb, naive, gullible bastards right?
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 478 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3134 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 832 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 934 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1089 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3271 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nukes: post your imagined scenario of the next war WinterHold 46 3177 February 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6434 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
  Hey Fuckface- When It Reaches Ken Starr Territory You Can Let Us Know Minimalist 0 378 May 15, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Start a war, save your Presidency? Jehanne 10 1825 May 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist