Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings From the Bible Belt
Greetings From the Bible Belt
Hi, my name's not really important, and I'm sick and tired of all the "You're going to Hell!" crap that I hear on a daily basis for simply pointing out that putting biblical quotes on the walls of our hallways isn't really right.
I live in the lovely area in Texas where every "Good Christian" lives. Their words, not mine. I moved here from the capital city where I had never even heard the word "damnation" before. Up here, it's in every other sentence. To speak out against one of the thousands of churches that spot the area is setting yourself out to burn eternally in hell. I don't care if my friends are Christians and like to worship their God or whatever, but really, must we have a note of the whiteboard proclaiming that there's a meeting on the Football field at 6pm tonight for "Fields of Faith" so you can learn about how to come closer to God? Or how about that math paper with the title "Pondering Proverbs"? Really, is it necessary? How about the fact that we have to pray before every football game and marching competition?
What really strikes me as odd is how all of these "Good Christians" love to lie, cheat, and steal. The kids that go to church every Wednesday night and Sunday morning are the same kids that were caught popping pills last week. The same kids who steal from the local grocery store just for kicks. The same kids who curse at me for my terrible sins.
I figured that if I could speak freely about my frustration about this kind of stuff would be here, right?
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".
RE: Greetings From the Bible Belt
I don't know that with the way my parents raised me that even if I had been an atheist that I wouldn't have done stupid shit. I think what young kids and teens do that are stupid are more a product of contested relationships with the parents, peer pressure and or abuse and or bullying.

But the hypocrisy certainly is there when parents talk about how good god is and their kid still fucks up. You can be good and religious, but what the religious don't understand is that religion is not required to be good, nor does it prevent you from doing bad.

Evolution will always produce a ratio of good behavior and bad behavior. If you go to every country in the world and it's prisions, those prisions will be full of a minority of people who commit crime, BUT will also have a population that reflects ratio wise the same majority in which they live.

Texas prisons are full of a majority of Christians, not because all Christians will commit crimes, but because that is the culture those prisoners come from. Just like if you went to a Mexican prison the majority of the prisoners will be Mexican. Same with Turkey. Go to one of their prisons and survey their inmates and they would be a majority Muslim.

The point being that labels will never make an individual automatically good or bad, and we have always been the same species long before our modern myths, long before our current boarders. That is the part people of all religions don't want to face.
Quote:What really strikes me as odd is how all of these "Good Christians" love to lie, cheat, and steal.

THIS.

One of the biggest proofs that the Christian God is man-made resides in the believer. Even as a former born-again Christian, in the back of my head I would always wonder why the jealous was still jealous, why the manipulative was still manipulative, why the pervert was still a pervert. Getting my money back for this faulty "Holy Spirit" was the best thing I ever did!

Welcome by the way.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Welcome

Christians can be really hypocritical sometimes. Actually, cheating is not against biblical teachings (not sure about lying)...nor is slavery, or child abuse, or rape, or murder (of people of other religions), or racism, or... Well, I don't want to take up this whole page.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Welcome

Christians can be really hypocritical sometimes. Actually, cheating is not against biblical teachings (not sure about lying)...nor is slavery, or child abuse, or rape, or murder (of people of other religions), or racism, or... Well, I don't want to take up this whole page.

The character Paul is quoted saying something to the affect "If through my falsehood" (If by lying I can promote you God, then I'll do it".) Then goes on to say "They condemn me and their condemnation is just".

This isn't like lying if you were hiding an abused spouse in your home and the husband bangs on the door and you send him away by lying and saying she isn't there.

Paul is saying that absolute power in God is all that matters and if scamming people will convince people to submit to this God, then that is ok.

The books of Abraham are perfect manifestos for Mob bosses.
(October 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Paul is saying that absolute power in God is all that matters and if scamming people will convince people to submit to this God, then that is ok.

Well, yeah! That's all they've got! The only easily testable thing in the bible is prayer, and once that is disproven, there are still enough things that haven't been for theists to go Lalala, even though that one is enough.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Unfortunately Christians aren't the only hypocrites, but they are pretty good at it

Welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome, friend.

I see you have learned at an apparently early age that "xtians" are largely full of shit.

It is an important lesson.
Call yourself a true christian and you can get away with murder (literally, just repent and you're saved)...

Welcome to AF.
Welcome.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 750 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1183 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 812 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1283 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1255 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1277 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2793 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 995 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm