Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"GMO Causes Cancer" Study
"GMO Causes Cancer" Study
A very nice blog post on the study that was getting a lot of press...and a lot of flack for a good reason.

http://skepticink.com/smilodonsretreat/2...cer-study/

I love this bit:

Quote:Correlation is the concept that two variables are moving at the same time. Causation is the concept that one of the variables is moving because of the other one. An example will serve. We note that over the last 100 years, the global temperature of the Earth has increased. We also note that over the same time period, that the number of pirates decreased. Those two numbers are correlated. Does anyone think that the lack of pirates is causing global warming (causation)?
Yeah, I didn’t think so.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: "GMO Causes Cancer" Study
(October 12, 2012 at 9:47 am)thesummerqueen Wrote:
Quote:Correlation is the concept that two variables are moving at the same time. Causation is the concept that one of the variables is moving because of the other one. An example will serve. We note that over the last 100 years, the global temperature of the Earth has increased. We also note that over the same time period, that the number of pirates decreased. Those two numbers are correlated. Does anyone think that the lack of pirates is causing global warming (causation)?
Yeah, I didn’t think so.

Actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spag...al_warming
wikipedia Wrote:Henderson presented the argument that "global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of pirates since the 1800s."
FSM GrinFSM SadFSM Wink
Of course, FSM is a satire of religion, so that is really a double whammy for this study.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Occasionally I worship at His Sauce-covered altar, so it DID cross my mind when I posted this. Wink
If the only science on the anti-GMO side is bad science, that should tell them something. There's no earthly reason why food should cause cancer just because it's GMO.
Well, the problem is that these people are violently anti-corporation sometimes, and thus because most of the GMO they encounter is from Monsanto, they dismiss it outright.

Those of us who are FOR GMO's (and by that I mean laboratory stuff, not including the things we have bred by artificial selection for 10s of thousands of years) acknowledge that corporations can be shady and sinister, but we don't blame the science for it. Just the people behind it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jane Goodall is now anti-GMO [rolling eyes] thesummerqueen 21 9278 June 2, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: SiRade
  GMO Labeling and "The China Scenario" thesummerqueen 2 2040 May 23, 2012 at 2:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  GMO Toxins and Pregnant Women thesummerqueen 28 9031 December 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The GMO Thread thesummerqueen 34 6785 August 16, 2011 at 9:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  GMO Bluegrass The Grand Nudger 4 2640 July 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: fr0d0