Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubled
Troubled
Hi I have joined because I'd like to discuss with like minded people the insidious creep of religion within UK society and in particular our local schools. The thing that prompted me to post was the arrival in our home of a biblical storybook from my son's school which is a state secular (he's10 and in his last year there before High School).
The book is published by WTB Ministries and whilst I dont object to my son learning bible stories their aim is to indoctrinate students into evangelical christians and I am at the stage where i don't know whether to complain strongly to the Head Teacher or just let it go as he has only 9 months left at the school. Whilst some other parents are slightly uncomfortable with this situation most are ambivalent and there are several evangelical families who have influence with school governors. My wife and I have made our feelings clear in parents surveys in the past but little seems to change.
I'd be interested to hear of other parents experience and advice on this issue.
RE: Troubled
Welcome Huddo

Where on this rock are you? What is WTB Ministries??

I am in Australia. Big Grin You have an international crew here on this site.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(October 17, 2012 at 7:26 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome Huddo

England Kich! The WTB stands for Walk Thru Bibles and they are on a mission from Gawd
http://www.walkthru.org/
State Secular?
Where did you get that idea, assemblies must be religious,and religion is taught as a core subject. That is the law, and unofficially in religious education lessons atheism is not encouraged.
You make presumptions that your child's school reflects the culture around you, it does not it is imposed from Westminster.
(October 17, 2012 at 7:33 am)Huddo Wrote:
(October 17, 2012 at 7:26 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome Huddo

England Kich! The WTB stands for Walk Thru Bibles and they are on a mission from Gawd
http://www.walkthru.org/

Sounds ghastly Huddo ... good luck ! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome. I don't know the specific laws of your country, and unfortunately I can only speak for mine. I think the best you can do is find an antheist organization willing to advise or aid you legally in your battle. The best you might be able to get is to make the class optional and or make the class a study of all religions.

But no, the state should not be in the business in selling children any myth. Those students can on their own time with their parents go to sunday school.

I cant tell you what to do, but I would not take this lightly. Give a theist an inch and they will play capture the flag with the planet.
(October 17, 2012 at 7:35 am)jonb Wrote: State Secular?
Where did you get that idea, assemblies must be religious,and religion is taught as a core subject. That is the law, and unofficially in religious education lessons atheism is not encouraged.
You make presumptions that your child's school reflects the culture around you, it does not it is imposed from Westminster.
The law states that religion of a broadly Christian nature should be taught along with comparative religions but I do not expect evangelism have a place in a non-religious school.
They have had an obviously happy clappy lay preacher in the school for some bible studies and school assemblies.
It is on the whole a good school but it bothers me that Christians are gaining the opportunity to indoctrinate children.
Your School may not be affiliated to a particular church, but under English law the state expects it to be in close contact with all churches/religious groups in its area. It is not secular, it would be against the law if it were so.
xtians will ALWAYS exploit the opportunity to indoctrinate children. It is up to YOU the parent to see that your children are otherwise enlightened. That is all you can legally do I'm afraid. Undecided
Quote: i don't know whether to complain strongly to the Head Teacher or just let it go as he has only 9 months left at the school.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Say something.