Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link posting rules
Link posting rules
I have a suggestion: lets allow members to post links only if they have a certain amount of posts. That way we could get rid of the people that only register here to promote their web sites/blogs/books,etc. What do the admin and mods think?
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
RE: Link posting rules
No reply???
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Sorry, I was thinking about your question and decided I needed more time to think about it and then forgot about it.

I know some forums have it in place. It can be easily circumvented by posting x fluff posts and then post the link post. But I think it is not a bad idea. We'll discuss it woth Adrian when he returns.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Ok, I've installed a plugin to do this (great idea btw).

Need some feedback:

1) How many posts should a person have before they can post links?
2) (Optional) How many days should a person be registered before they can post links?
How about, about 20-50 posts? Somewhere along that line?

I don't see how days would work, someone could just be registered for a bit not posting, and then post links, I dunno. In addition to the post amount perhaps? (If it was needed?) But I can't think of a reasonable amount of days. Not saying that just because I can't think of an amount of days that it therefore won't work, I'm not invoking the Personal Incredulity fallacy Tongue

EvF
(August 12, 2009 at 9:46 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Ok, I've installed a plugin to do this (great idea btw).

Need some feedback:

1) How many posts should a person have before they can post links?
2) (Optional) How many days should a person be registered before they can post links?

10 posts and a month (both)! I think an appeal to admin should be allowed as well because some people are just cool from the off!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 12, 2009 at 11:18 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: How about, about 20-50 posts? Somewhere along that line?
I think the upper bound of that range is a bit excessive. 20 is probably the maximum we want to go before people start being pissed off.

The "days registered" is invoked with the post count. In other words, you have to both have x posts and have been registered for x amount of time before posting links.

I think that given some people are very good members and register / start posting on the same day, the time limit shouldn't be included.

A 20 post limit sounds good to me.
20 works for me too.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Yeah. I like that number too Big Grin

EvF
I was happy with 20 but now I keep thinking of the poor saps who want to link to genuine articles and won't be able to.. so 10 sounds better. These asshat spammers never stay around for more than a couple of posts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Necro Posting AFTT47 49 10367 July 23, 2023 at 4:37 am
Last Post: no one
Question why link is forbidden? Eclectic 10 2099 October 7, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Posting Pictures h4ym4n 2 1215 June 17, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Posting format is different Catholic_Lady 36 3762 December 7, 2016 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Anonymous posting Excited Penguin 101 12091 August 21, 2016 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Problem posting with Android 4.2 God of Mr. Hanky 12 3055 February 4, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  i would like to post a thread with link but have been here less than 30 days jenny1972 4 1523 October 24, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  youtube link is turning into a video.. Marsellus Wallace 2 1555 October 10, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Posting Links in OP rexbeccarox 4 2231 July 21, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Nope
  Suggestion for a minor rules change. Ravenshire 24 6295 July 8, 2015 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Napoléon