Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prayer not working
Prayer not working
I visited my 86 year old mother today, she has been suffering for a long time with arthritis in her knees and has difficulty walking. She told me that the minister from her church had visited and said a prayer for her. After watching her walk slowly and painfully around I commented that it didn't seem to have done much good. I got one of THOSE looks, the kind that will curdle milk at 30 paces!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Prayer not working
Did she rub sacred oil over the phallic idol in the proper direction? That might be whats missing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:She told me that the minister from her church had visited and said a prayer for her.

Oh, yeah......

[Image: prayer-purpose.png?w=640]
(October 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I visited my 86 year old mother today, she has been suffering for a long time with arthritis in her knees and has difficulty walking. She told me that the minister from her church had visited and said a prayer for her. After watching her walk slowly and painfully around I commented that it didn't seem to have done much good. I got one of THOSE looks, the kind that will curdle milk at 30 paces!

Good for your mother and please tell her I support her and also will pray for her.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Which will do her no fucking good at all but you will con yourself into thinking that you make a difference, G-C.

You clowns are so predictable!
Naw, naw, you're doing it all wrong. You need to pay a prosperity doctrine preacher lots of money.....I...I mean donate your money to god....and this preacher will pray for this woman and you will get your miracle breakthrough....when god is good and ready to. Until then keep forking over the dough!
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

I have the faith your mother will be healed through Jesus Christ like all the other vague, biased and hearsay-based testimonies that I've heard.

Seriously though, I hope she gets better soon.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Since there's no god, why don't you just cure her yourself?
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
(October 21, 2012 at 5:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Since there's no god, why don't you just cure her yourself?

If I had the knowlege, skill and ability then I would, whatever I do will be better than what the loving god is putting her through!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Funny how there are certain things that are just beyond our control.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5351 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7562 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A Working Draft Design Argument Acrobat 54 5025 October 19, 2019 at 10:28 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1039 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5617 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 5923 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 62908 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Working backwards. Mystic 52 7845 February 26, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Prayer Athena777 181 16213 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  is collective prayer any more effective? ReptilianPeon 65 8256 June 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: IATIA