Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Question about Evolution
Newbie Question about Evolution
It's easy to find theories of mathematics and physics online. Instantly, I can find lists of very exact theories.

Why can't I find that for theories in biology? Where is the exact, universal definition of the theory of evolution written? Is there a universally accepted articulation of the theory of evolution?
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
RE: Newbie Question about Evolution
Without knowing how you searched I can only speculate that you ran into a lot of creationist crap which clogs up search engines with their god-shit.

You might start here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_evol..._synthesis
(October 21, 2012 at 2:11 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: It's easy to find theories of mathematics and physics online. Instantly, I can find lists of very exact theories.

Why can't I find that for theories in biology? Where is the exact, universal definition of the theory of evolution written? Is there a universally accepted articulation of the theory of evolution?

Why you can't find it is a problem arising uniquely from your particular set of grave academic, intellectual, and moral deficiencies. Not having come clean with a thorough list of the said deficiencies, you do not provide us with enough information to formulate such a set of enlightenments as woudl suitable to address your particular set of gnorances.
(October 21, 2012 at 2:23 am)Minimalist Wrote: Without knowing how you searched I can only speculate that you ran into a lot of creationist crap which clogs up search engines with their god-shit.

You might start here.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Is that a formal explanation that everyone agrees with, or that lots of people agree with?
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
The best place to start is where it started. "on the origin of the species"

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2009

There are lots of things that Darwin could not have known about DNA etc which have now been incorporated by Dawkins etc.
But these are refining the theory, the basics of which remains sound.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 21, 2012 at 5:37 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:
(October 21, 2012 at 2:23 am)Minimalist Wrote: Without knowing how you searched I can only speculate that you ran into a lot of creationist crap which clogs up search engines with their god-shit.

You might start here.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Is that a formal explanation that everyone agrees with, or that lots of people agree with?

Yes, in the sense that the T of E is far more complex than Darwin imagined in 1859.
(October 21, 2012 at 2:11 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: It's easy to find theories of mathematics and physics online. Instantly, I can find lists of very exact theories.

ROFLOL

a scientific theory, is the result of fieldstudy - things observed - which repeat under nonchangeing conditions of envirorment - are phrased into a theory.
if one builds up a experiments under the conditions of this theory - one will observe the same results as in field.

what is the difference between a scientific theory in biology and one in mathmatics.

they observe two different fields of science: biology and mathmatics

but in conclusion. both of them are scientific theories

do I have to paint you a picture?
Here you go.

Link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 21, 2012 at 7:40 pm)IATIA Wrote: Here you go.

Link

Did you read that article? It tries to use the incorrect "half an eye is useless" argument against evolution...(Unless you were just trying to use the first half of the article to explain how evolution works, but still...)
As for why that is incorrect, see here and here.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Did you read that article?

Yes, but that is what our friend is looking for. He wants to refute evolution. Are you scared? Wink Shades

Here is a good link from 'Scientific American' on the origin of life.

Link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about evolution Won2blv 26 4471 May 28, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Evolution question taylor93112 14 3043 March 22, 2013 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist