Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Introduction, Hello.
An Introduction, Hello.
Hello everyone,

I am from the UK and in my late 30's.

I was raised as a Catholic and without dwelling too much on the processes involved I'm not one anymore.

Okay, well I'll dwell a bit perhaps but only to say that there was no great epiphany that caused me to question (what I accept to be) indoctrination over perhaps 15 to 20 years. I don't have any great misgivings about this upbringing, it wasn't filled with horrifying brainwashing or child abuse - the religious types were not dreadful paedophiles and firebrand preaching lunatics. Basically they were just nice people with a sense of community based around their (admittedly rather po-faced) beliefs. Think old ladies arranging flowers for the church and a grass mowing rota rather than door-to-door evangelists.

I have always been interested in all of the sciences and have been entertained by science fiction. later in my education I became a physicist and indeed still am.

The thing is, when I looked at things from a scientific point of view I realised that I never actually believed in God and never really participated in all the churchy goings on - I suspect I may have been afraid in a childish way of religious consequences when I was younger but that was really all it was. Rationally though, I gradually realised that the whole human spirituality and belief system is unsustainable for me.

Basically I eventually came to my personal decision about God about ten years ago in a happy and amicable way. No axes to grind in particular. I feel sad about the people who feel they need a shared belief in God to be good people and wish they could realise that they actually are decent and morally sound without it.

I also am aware that some people get social and mental satisfaction from such things and can only seem to get it there. Its probably a feature of human brains and is fine really - as long as they don't try to involve the unwilling then I am happy for them and feel that they should be left to do that.

I'm sort of easy going that way really - Its all good as long as you keep it to yourself and to people or groups who are interested or invite it.

I hope to have interesting discussions here and also hope that any opinions I may have will be of some value.
RE: An Introduction, Hello.
Welcome!
Welcome From the Antipodes.

Enjoy your stay here mate.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome, fellow Englander! I'm sure that whatever opinions you feel like sharing will be of great value. For instance, this:

(November 5, 2012 at 9:11 am)Borunel Wrote: I was raised as a Catholic and without dwelling too much on the processes involved I'm not one anymore.

earns you a ton of points with me right off the bat.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Howdy.
Cunt
Anyone who escapes from the clutches of Herr Von Popenfuhrer is okay in my book.
Welcom-welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 974 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1423 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 4030 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2272 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2009 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1169 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 980 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2905 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2