Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello all
Hello all
Hi,

Something about me:
I'm a 25-year-old male atheist. I was raised as a christian (Evangelical Lutheranism is the prominent religious orientation here in northern Europe [Finland]).

I think I believed in God up until when I was about 15 or 16, and by believing I mean I feared. I had some doubts but was too afraid to give those doubts too much thought because once a seed of doubt came into my head, I reflexively threw it away thinking it's wrong and punishable in some afterlife to even think about it. I think that goes to show something about the level of psychological damage that my parents and the state did to me and to many other children that were sensitive to that kind of influence

When I turned 18, I had built up the courage to think about the myth that I was taught to believe in and its implications. It didn't take me too long to figure out where i stand relative to it, and I left the church not too long after. My parents were quite shocked at the decision. They had no idea I was an atheist (although I didn't really know the word by then - I just said I didn't believe in God and didn't see the point of being a member of the church anymore). They kept bothering me with it for a while, but eventually gave up because I didn't have too much interest in dealing with a question in a way that would in no way benefit me. Listening to 2 (mainly 1, that's my dad) people who have never read the bible but whose only reason (not according to them, of course) to believe in a god and accept the position of a slave is that they've been brought up that way and indoctrinated to respect an authority, preach me, I didn't feel like wasting my time in the conversation.

Many years have passed now, and I'm in no way dependent on my parents economically or in other ways, but we're pretty close still. I think they're genuinely nice persons, and the main reason I regularly visit them is our dog that is quite attached to me and I feel obligated to give him a visit at least once in a month.

Because of us meeting regularly, I've had a few conversations scratching on the subject. But whenever my dad brings up his religiosity, or the spirituality as he calls it, I get this feeling of disgust and contempt. I view him as an adult with the intellect of a child, and in my mind I hold him accountable for not having escaped the same shackles that I have escaped from, despite him having the same information that I have. I think he lacks the courage, and I view of him as a coward in some sense...

I haven't told him this and I probably won't, and I recognize there's probably some deep psychological stuff there, but I just felt like typing this out somewhere to have some reflection on the issue myself too.
RE: Hello all
Howdy!
Cunt
Oh suomi! Willkommen!
Nice to have you aboard!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Welcome, interesting story.

Smile
Hello.

Your English is fantastic.

I shudder to think how our schools would teach Finnish.
Welcome Crabon!

Try not to be to hard on your dad. Maybe try reading Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things to get an idea of the reasons why he can't escape his way of thinking.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Welcome!
Welcome

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello to all SimpleCaveman 52 3551 November 29, 2023 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  Hello y'all BillieBobbie 3 714 January 18, 2023 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Twitter refugee, hello all Dizzyagain 27 1764 October 20, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Dizzyagain
  Hello All! Smedders 11 728 December 29, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello all Bmanne 23 2961 December 12, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: sebaslopez
  Hello All Mark Alien 24 2674 August 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Last Post: veoli
  Hello all ohio_drg 13 1340 September 28, 2018 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hi all - new here is all.... val5662 15 2142 March 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3308 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello all ! webrn 32 4177 October 18, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Losty