Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Christians and there god sound to me.
How Christians and there god sound to me.
This is my personal opinion gathered from the words and agreements of Christians on this forum and how there tell us what their god it's like.
This is my view of what Christians believe about their god, them and their book:
1. An all powerful being that can literally go anything.
2. If he does something, it is automatically good and righteous (genocide, murder, rape etc..)
3. He only allows those who follow him without question to experience bliss and there rest get eternal punishment.
4. We are mere property which he can do anything to without punishment.
5. We were all born evil because of two peoples fuck up 6000 years ago.
6. Would be murdering left right and center if it was not for their book and God's word.
7. Would kill on command if it came from their God.
8. Believe (not all) that the earth is and the universe was 6000 years old.
9. Believe that primitive savages have more knowledge about the world then we do now.

Please tell me that you really don't believe this as if you do, you really need to get your head examined by a professional psychiatrist.
Please Christians tell me I am wrong and WHY I am wrong and We all know when you are bullshiting and I prefer if you were completely honest about what you really believe.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: How Christians and there god sound to me.
The problem is, you aren't wrong Undecided
(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: This is my personal opinion gathered from the words and agreements of Christians on this forum and how there tell us what their god it's like.
This is my view of what Christians believe about their god, them and their book:
1. An all powerful being that can literally go anything.
Assuming you meant “do,” yes, that’s accurate.
Quote:2. If he does something, it is automatically good and righteous (genocide, murder, rape etc..)
Aside from the spin (e.g. what you call murder I call capital punishment) I agree. I’ve never found Euthyphro’s dilemma to be much of a dilemma.
Quote:3. He only allows those who follow him without question to experience bliss and there rest get eternal punishment.
I disagree on this one. God’s followers can question him.
Quote:4. We are mere property which he can do anything to without punishment.
This follows from 1. Who can punish an all-powerful being? Surprised your pearl abilities didn’t notice that.
Quote:5. We were all born evil because of two peoples fuck up 6000 years ago.
I agree with that one. I may disagree with some of your conclusions from this though.
Quote:6. Would be murdering left right and center if it was not for their book and God's word.
I disagree with this one.
Quote:7. Would kill on command if it came from their God.
I doubt I would.
Quote:8. Believe (not all) that the earth is and the universe was 6000 years old.
As we know that some genealogies in the Bible skip some generations, I don’t subscribe to an age that precise, but I’d say it’s thousands, not millions or billions.
Quote:9. Believe that primitive savages have more knowledge about the world then we do now.
More knowledge? No. I don’t look down on them the way many atheists do, though. We’re standing on their shoulders. I believe they were probably smarter on average than we are.
And there you have it, Gooders..... one of the assholes confessed.

You have your proof. Collectively, xtians are as dumb as a bag of rocks.
(November 6, 2012 at 11:40 am)John V Wrote:
Quote:9. Believe that primitive savages have more knowledge about the world then we do now.
More knowledge? No. I don’t look down on them the way many atheists do, though. We’re standing on their shoulders. I believe they were probably smarter on average than we are.

I don't care about what you believe about the other points, but this reply of yours...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/knowledge?s=t Wrote:knowl·edge [nol-ij]
noun
1. acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things.
2. familiarity or conversance, as with a particular subject or branch of learning: A knowledge of accounting was necessary for the job.
3. acquaintance or familiarity gained by sight, experience, or report: a knowledge of human nature.
4. the fact or state of knowing; the perception of fact or truth; clear and certain mental apprehension.
5. awareness, as of a fact or circumstance: He had knowledge of her good fortune.

This is how normal people define knowledge.
If you tell me that an individual in the "information age" such as you or me know less than someone from 3 thousand years ago, living in the desert, then something is wrong with your concept of knowledge.

Of course, they would know how to survive there, with the tools available... We have no such experience, so we'd require some time to learn it. But that's it.
About anything else, we know much more than they knew.
Quote:but I’d say it’s thousands, not millions or billions.

If you actually believe the the Earth is only a few thousands years old, then your beliefs have been falsified by an impressive amount of evidence.

This is why most Christians today do not believe in the young Earth hypothesis anymore.

At least your honest, I give you that. Though you need a reality check, at least you're not completely crazy, just very misinformed.
Also he can't be all powerful as he can't forgive and he could fix the planet without even blinking so he is either not all powerful or to lazy/evil to do anything thing about it.

Are there any other Christians willing to say that my 9 points are what they believe or not. I want to see how many believe my statements whole heartedly.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 1. An all powerful being that can literally go anything.
I would correct it to, "He can do anything that's logically possible for a being like God to do."

Definition of "being like God" - the greatest conceivable being, perfect in all His attributes

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 2. If he does something, it is automatically good and righteous (genocide, murder, rape etc..)
Since God is the perfect being, His actions may allow evil for the time being, but it is to bring an even greater good.

Ex: the most innocent, perfect being suffered a cruel agonizing death on the cross in order to reconcile sinners into a relationship with God.

Jesus death on the cross is the worst crime in the history of our planet, but God allowed it because it brought an even greater good, namely the salvation of all who would come to place their faith in Jesus.

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 3. He only allows those who follow him without question to experience bliss and there rest get eternal punishment.
I question His existence almost on a daily bases, but I thank Jesus for sustaining my faith by continually making His presence known to me.

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 4. We are mere property which he can do anything to without punishment.
Agreed, although for those who place their faith in Jesus God gives them the right to become children of God. (more than property)

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 5. We were all born evil because of two peoples fuck up 6000 years ago.
Agreed except I'm not a "young earth" guy.

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 6. Would be murdering left right and center if it was not for their book and God's word.
All people are made in the image of God and because of his common grace we do not murder left and right.

I'm not sure if that would be an "agree" or "disagree."

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 7. Would kill on command if it came from their God.
I would

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 8. Believe (not all) that the earth is and the universe was 6000 years old.
I'm not a "young earth" guy.

(November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: 9. Believe that primitive savages have more knowledge about the world then we do now.
Where did you get this idea from? I don't believe that.
(November 6, 2012 at 11:53 am)pocaracas Wrote: This is how normal people define knowledge.
If you tell me that an individual in the "information age" such as you or me know less than someone from 3 thousand years ago, living in the desert, then something is wrong with your concept of knowledge.
I'm saying the opposite of that. I agree that they had less knowledge. "More knowledge?" was a rhetorical repeat of the question, to which I answered "No."
Quote:Jesus death on the cross is the worst crime in the history of our planet

I could think of a few crimes worse than a single murder, no matter how gruesome. How about the Final Solution, or Pol Pot's policies in Cambodia?

Quote:I would

You scare me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1362 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3444 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 6922 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Sound Vaguely Familiar? Minimalist 3 613 October 24, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: no one
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3584 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  There is no doubt a god, the question is what is it? Mystic 144 16464 April 11, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Aslem's argument is sound! Mystic 12 1943 March 19, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is Trump absolute Proof that there's no loving god? The Valkyrie 16 3443 February 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3572 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 40303 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972