Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious fallout from the election
Religious fallout from the election
Not sure whether to put this in politics or religion because it kinda falls into both.

We all know there are a lot of right wing, evangelical groups that are extremely conservative. We also know that a lot of them don't like Mormons and don't think of the LDS church as a legitimate Christian church. However, during the 2008 election, they were generally able to get past their own hatred of Mormons simply because the Republican candidate was Mormon. One of the better known examples of this is Billy Graham removing Mormonism from his website's list of cults.

Well, the election is over and the Mormon lost. Now things may change. A lot of those evangelical Christians, had Romney won, would have started accepting Mormons as just another branch of Christianity. Since he lost, he's kinda irrelivant. Worse yet (for Mormons, anyway), a lot of them may blame Romney's loss on the fact that he's Mormon. The hatred they had for Mormons before may get a lot stronger.

Do you think there will be political fallout for the LDS church because Romney lost the election?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Religious fallout from the election
I would like to see political fallout for the LDS church as part of a larger wave that will also swallow evangelicals and conservative catholics.
In 4 years the republicans will be even older, whiter and just as fucking religious as they are now. There will simply be fewer of them. They are incapable of learning and incapable of changing.
I kind of hope you're right, because I want to replace them with 'small l' libertarians, and if the GOP adapts, that's right out. Now, if I can just get the 'big L' libertarians on board, maybe we can get somewhere.
I'll bet some will even go as far as to say that god tanked the election for them, because they chose a Mormon as a candidate.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: In 4 years the republicans will be even older, whiter and just as fucking religious as they are now. There will simply be fewer of them. They are incapable of learning and incapable of changing.

It seems historically unlikely, as the republican party has changed dramatically throughout it's history.
The discussion has already begun. Romney wasn't "conservative" enough.

We'll know for certain when they start issuing Brown Shirts to "True Conservatives."

[Image: Brown_Shirts_HitlerYouth_Mar_09.jpg]
(November 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I kind of hope you're right, because I want to replace them with 'small l' libertarians, and if the GOP adapts, that's right out. Now, if I can just get the 'big L' libertarians on board, maybe we can get somewhere.

Yeah, I'm actually hoping for the same thing. I still disagree with most libertarians (sorry Tib, Tino) but at least they tend to be more reasonable and moderate than what we currently get from the Republican party and they're much more ideologically consistant, too. In short, I can respect them and work with them even if I still disagree with them. If the Republican party remakes itself, I would far prefer a 'Ron Paul' style Republican party instead of what we get from the Sarah Palin's and Todd Akin's we have now. The question is, how many people are they going to alienate before they make significant change to the party?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Eternally an optimist, I'm hoping this win for Obama means the country has figured out that the GOP is fucked and needs an overhaul. Especially with the number of rising irreligious or more socially liberal people in the country.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Expect two years of battling among republicunts. There are some who will point to the mathematics of the population to tell them they must moderate their positions.

Then there are the rest of the fucknuts who think they have to become evern bigger nazis than they were last time.

We'll know who won when the primaries start. I doubt there are enough "moderates" left in the GOP to overcome the nut bags.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32813 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope