Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of the Third Party Solution
The Myth of the Third Party Solution
Not that anyone would have known it but there were other candidates on the ballot in most states last night. Gary Johnson ran as a Libertarian and Jill Stein on the Green Party.

Johnson got 4% in his home state of New Mexico. Otherwise, he got 1-2% of the vote in most places. Jill Stein did not do that well.

http://boston.com/news/special/politics/...-2012.html

Actually, this is pretty much consistent with 3'd Party results throughout our recent history.
RE: The Myth of the Third Party Solution
I still think it would be helpful to the American political system if we had more than just the 2 parties... a couple more conservative leaning ones and a few more lefty parties... It would do our congress some good.
What I find most mythic about third (or more) parties is the notion that in and of themselves they would make a monumental difference. It might be that debates would open up more and include more divisive topics. But that assumes that a truly viable third (or more) option would be any more inclined to broach such topics than the two viable parties are now. Currently parties other than the big two can safely criticize the mainstream parties for skirting third rail issues because they have nothing to lose since they can't win. Anyone who thinks those two things aren't related or that the true prospect of power can't taint their candidate is living in a reality challenged world.
Not sure how this is a "myth". If a third party ever does get enough votes to affect an election in a big way, it could cause issues for the major two parties. Unfortunately, the electoral system in the US is set up so that things tend towards a two party system.
Sure, it would likely be helpful. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen until alternative parties start to gain some traction.

It sucks to be us at times.
(November 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Not sure how this is a "myth". If a third party ever does get enough votes to affect an election in a big way, it could cause issues for the major two parties. Unfortunately, the electoral system in the US is set up so that things tend towards a two party system.

I would favor a system like in England where various parties must negotiate real compromises in order to govern. That would have obvious advantages. Sadly for us, even if we had that, we're still stuck with the separation of powers which has the effect of stifling change. We don't truly empower our leaders to lead. That may prevent them from really fucking things up but it also prevents anyone from truly being held accountable for what they didn't do with the power they didn't have.
I voted for Gary Johnson; however, I agree that a third party is not a viable solution in the immediate future. If the Republican party jettisons the religious right I think we would see many people that self identify as Libertarians embrace the Republican party. There may even be some Democrats that would not simply vote the party line every election knowing that the Republican platform isn't dominated by the agenda of religious cranks.
(November 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm)cato123 Wrote: I voted for Gary Johnson; however, I agree that a third party is not a viable solution in the immediate future. If the Republican party jettisons the religious right I think we would see many people that self identify as Libertarians embrace the Republican party. There may even be some Democrats that would not simply vote the party line every election knowing that the Republican platform isn't dominated by the agenda of religious cranks.

Possibly but I would be no more likely to vote for the libertarian cranks who believe in the infallibility of the invisible hand.
Weird how parties like: the greens and liberterians only gained between 0,1 and 5 percent, when in most european countries they have a lot of seats in parlament and are oftern members of a coalition goverment.

The parties which gain between 0,1 and 5 percent in Germany are mostly such outdated undemocratic things like comunists and nazis.
Quote:Unfortunately, the electoral system in the US is set up so that things tend towards a two party system.

That's why it is a myth, Divi Tiberio. Like jesus rising from the dead. It is not real.

Perhaps the story of John Anderson will put this in perspective for you. Anderson remains the most successful 3'd party candidate in modern American history. He got 7% of the vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._And...ndependent

Let's not forget though that Ralph Nader's 3% on the Green party in Florida in 2000 was enough to give Dubya the presidency. In such ways can 3d parties fuck things up royally.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 721 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 269 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1447 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Foxaèr 45 3984 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Iowa Republican Party platform. Jehanne 14 1409 August 20, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There Is A Simple Solution For This Minimalist 10 529 July 22, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 30399 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Third parties profiting off of poor outcomes for patients....in AMERICA!? Aegon 23 3310 April 28, 2018 at 5:41 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Green Party, Huh? Minimalist 0 344 March 17, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Crazies Will Run This Poor Bastard Out of the Republicunt Party Minimalist 0 431 September 28, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist