Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
poca, the alien
poca, the alien
Let's play a game of pretend.
Wink Shades

Pretend I'm an alien, an extra-terrestrial, from somewhere else in the Universe.

Mu name is poca and I come from pocaplnt.

I've been observing the Earth and its human inhabitants for a while and noticed they are more or less split into groups.
Some groups are called countries and there are some frictions between adjoining countries.
Some groups are called religions and there are some frictions between adjoining religions.

Countries, I can understand. They are territory, land, resources.
Religion, I cannot.
Where I come from, we don't have religions.
Your religions seem to be based on the fact that one or more divine beings exist in some strange dimension or mental state or alternate reality, or whatever.... there seem to be too many ways of looking at the thing.
The religious people actually believe that these beings exist. Well, each religion has its own set of deities, so each believes that their own exist, but not the others.
This means that either all of them exist, or none, or just one set... in which case, which one?
You guys seem to have a group that goes for the "none" scenario. These seem to be the closest to my own species. We don't have this concept of deity. I have traveled far and wide and found no such thing out there in the Universe.
Perhaps it is in some other dimension outside this Universe, but how did you come to possess that knowledge? How would such deities contact you?

My question is basically, how did you humans come about to have the information that these deities exist?
Why did you split them up or make up new ones?
Why do you brood animosity just because someone doesn't believe in the same deity set as you?

cheers,

poca
[Image: SeoAlien9-300x300.jpg]
RE: poca, the alien
You don't think the same as us? We can't imagine what that is like. You could think about things differently than us, and we would not know. We do not know what you could do. You could be like us. You are a threat! Burn the unbeliever!
No! he is a messenger from above, come to answer our prayers and provide our salvation, all hail the great Poca! Let those who blaspheme the name of Poca be poked with sharp objects!
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Blasphemer: See she worships a different god burn her!
I would also add one more question.

Why should I believe your deity, or the particular version of your deity over all the others, given they all have that same lack of supporting demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
pocaracas Wrote:My question is basically, how did you humans come about to have the information that these deities exist?

My existence is the proof, duh! I am way too special to have been made by unconscious forces.

pocaracas Wrote:Why did you split them up or make up new ones?

Because those earlier gods were too falsifiable. We eventually refined the concept to one that lives in a different dimension, and whose interaction with our universe is completely indistinguishable from the natural order of that universe.

pocaracas Wrote:Why do you brood animosity just because someone doesn't believe in the same deity set as you?

That's what I...I mean my god...wants.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Aight fellas, keep the general noise level up while I see about stealin us a spaceship......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Curious, no theist replied to this.
Only atheists and their quick jokes. Tongue

I was wondering what is the theist take on this subject.

BTW: Your NASA hasn't detected my ship nor will it ever... You don't have the technology! Smile Luckily for me!

cheers,
poca
(November 8, 2012 at 6:40 am)pocaracas Wrote: Let's play a game of pretend.
Wink Shades

Pretend I'm an alien, an extra-terrestrial, from somewhere else in the Universe.

Mu name is poca and I come from pocaplnt.

I've been observing the Earth and its human inhabitants for a while and noticed they are more or less split into groups.
Some groups are called countries and there are some frictions between adjoining countries.
Some groups are called religions and there are some frictions between adjoining religions.

Did you also observe that once a week we mass-gather in large stadiums
surrounding a green pitch to take the real important decisions Poca ?
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
(November 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm)Kousbroek Wrote: Did you also observe that once a week we mass-gather in large stadiums
surrounding a green pitch to take the real important decisions Poca ?
Indeed... well remembered. I did notice gatherings around such stadiums.... but failed to notice any decision making... It seemed just a means of providing the masses with some diversion, in order to keep them from becoming aggressive... in some places it had the opposite effect, but it worked well for the most part.

Cheers,
Poca

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alien Crucifixion Scenario chimp3 113 11503 June 23, 2018 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4785 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  God is a Sadistic Alien Michael Schubert 14 5989 August 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris