Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mother and her Al-anon quest
My mother and her Al-anon quest
My mother has fairly recently became a religious nut and is passionate about it, and now she is trying her hand in creating an Ala-teen and has been inspired by Ala-non to pursue the creation of this group in my home town. She is (dare i say) making this happen on blind faith and her attitude from that group isn't the best. She is convinced by her peers by the 'disease' theory and there are things I've learned from Penn and teller's BS that have shown me info and stuff. She is fiercely defensive and I only wish to comment on the organization as well as make a few small changes. I don't want the teens to have unprofessional help and grow up with a hatred.
RE: My mother and her Al-anon quest
Welcome!

who or what is Ala-non?
I'm guessing it's another term for Alc-Anon, ie Alcoholics Unanimous Anonymous or AA.

Welcome aboard, Gruce.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Welcome, Gruce!
TGAC, Al-Anon is an anonymous fellowship/support group for people who are friends or relatives of alcoholics. It's based on a 12 step program, just like Alcoholics Anonymous. Ala-Teen is Al-Anon for teenagers coping with alcoholic parents.
There's a lot of talk about god in 12 step programs. Which can lead to zealotry. However, I'm an atheist and an active participant in a 12 step program, ACA, Adult Children of Alcoholics (and dysfunctional families), which is an offshoot of Ala-Teen that started about 25-30 years ago. I'd say that religion is the problem, not the steps or fellowship. Though my home group is very liberal and accepting, I've shared that I'm an atheist and haven't gotten any guff about it.
I'd be happy to speak in-depth about this sort of stuff either through a thread or PM.

And don't worry, I won't be offended by bashes of the program. It hasn't helped my father who has been in AA for almost 30 years now... Sure, he doesn't drink, but he's still a really fucked-up asshole!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6708 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 366 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The type of religious stuff my mother posts on FB. Foxaèr 3 1130 May 18, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Reflections on Mother Teresa TrueChristian 27 4575 February 25, 2016 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Gay teen forced to sex his mother Foxaèr 56 17456 June 9, 2015 at 10:21 am
Last Post: comet
Photo Mother Teresa was no saint,she was an old greedy toad! MountainsWinAgain 9 5378 June 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Israeli woman fined for not circumsizing her son. I and I 60 11110 November 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up Fidel_Castronaut 20 8903 July 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  I believe that my mother is crazy viocjit 9 3636 June 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Hurricane Katrina, Mother nature or Wrath of God? L4EV 34 14832 May 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy