Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God doesn't lie because he says so.
God doesn't lie because he says so.
God doesn't lie because he says so. The Bible is true because it says so.

Never mind circular reasoning, what about the question begging fallacy?
RE: God doesn't lie because he says so.
Hmmm......

2 Samuel 7

Quote:11 and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders[a] over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies.

“‘The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me[b]; your throne will be established forever.’”

17 Nathan reported to David all the words of this entire revelation.

So..."god" doesn't lie but he did because David's throne...had it existed at all.... ended when the Babylonians overran the city in 586. So "god" is a bullshit artist but the bible can still be "true" because it reports the lie.

Oh, but then there is that problem of it also reporting that "god" can not lie. Such problems for the dorks to work out.
Don't they claim that god can be deceitful even though he can't lie?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: God doesn't lie because he says so. The Bible is true because it says so.

Never mind circular reasoning, what about the question begging fallacy?

This has been put in may versions.

Can God make a boulder so big even he couldn't lift it.

I hate this dodge saying "God says he wouldn't lie"

How would you know if he is "all powerfull". By context of definition he has to have the power to lie otherwise there is no reason to call it a god. If it can lie, then how would you know simply by "take my word for it".

God/god/s are fictional. So what we object to is a concept in the form of a claimed atribute. "All" does not imply limits, so lying has to be part of the "all".

Just like if God can make a boulder so big he couldn't lift it, would make him limited. If he cant make a boulder so big he cant lift it, he is also limited.

Thus the claimed attribute is a broken concept as a claim. Cherry picking is the only way one can swallow such tripe. Not to mention the idea of a disembodied brain with no brain and magical super powers is, by itself absurd.
I've never thought about the fact that if God can't lie then he's not omnipotent. Good point.

As for the "Can God create a rock that he can't lift?" I believe that that commits the loaded question fallacy.
The OP made me think of this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpbS00RNZhY
The perfect god of the mind cannot lie. But as a character I'm convinced that he indeed is capable of that trait. Otherwise he would be a boring character with no dept and three-dimensionality. As a a character (to his believers) such a trait would be unforgivable, but to us, reading the fairy-tale as the story it is, it just makes it more morbid and fascinating, though horrifying.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(November 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: I've never thought about the fact that if God can't lie then he's not omnipotent. Good point.
It's not that God can't lie, but He doesn't lie.

Theists believe that God is truthful/trustworthy and He won't do something which goes against His own attributes (truthful being one of them). Therefore, He's not going to lie.

That doesn't mean that He "can't" lie.
Ok, scratch that.

But like the OP says: Why should we believe that God doesn't lie? Because he says so?
(November 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: But like the OP says: Why should we believe that God doesn't lie? Because he says so?
Because a truthful God is more believable, consistent, and moral than a lying God (if He exists).

There is no proof that God lied either, is there?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3142 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  My god doesn't owe you an explaination! T.J. 22 2137 November 29, 2021 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11068 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Prophecy doesn't make sense zwanzig 26 2488 March 12, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4806 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4485 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1169 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7399 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11075 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7771 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished