Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How to pressure atheism on society
So, we've been accused of pushing atheism onto other people, right? Maybe if people are accusing us of it anyway, we should go out of our way to actually do it.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/...asy-steps/
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
We drive by the Mormon temple everyday dropping off and picking up my littlest from school. It offers many opportunities where one of the kids ask about the building. Why is it there? What's on top of the spires? Can we go visit it? When I explained that we aren't allowed to go to the Mormon temple because we aren't Mormon, they were disappointed and wanted to know why. I explained that only Mormons were allowed inside. My 4 year old said, "Maybe there's aliens inside." I laughed so hard... I always try to present a balanced view, but when they ask if I believe in god or why I don't believe in god, I simply say, "Because there's no proof of god." But I also point out that there's plenty of people who do believe in god, and it's not nice to go around telling people there isn't a god (more so they won't run into problems than anything). They're too young for all the details.

They're mystified by the idea of a being that created everything. I've also explained scientific theories. What I've noticed is they seem uncomfortable with religious explanations, frankly it kind of scares them. But scientific stuff they eat up. Like when we visit the Natural History Museum, which goes into a lot of evolution, including a newish exhibit on the origin of mankind. It seems they are more comfortable with science, which is fine by me!
RE: How to pressure atheism on society
Right now is a bad time to try and make Atheism mainstream in the midst of all this political chaos and federal abuse of civil rights. The best you can do is be a good person without the necessity of religion, give them something to look up to a reason to question religion, just be an example and prove your not evil.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Quote:he best you can do is be a good person without the necessity of religion, give them something to look up to a reason to question religion, just be an example and prove your not evil.

That and teach a scientific approach to life, promote skepticism and critical thinking, and encourage atheists "in the closet" to "come out".
Their religious belief is shaky so they have to BLAME someone or something....

ignorant pricks. Angry
(November 16, 2012 at 3:34 am)JohnDG Wrote: just be an example and prove your not evil.

LOL, if that were going to have any effect on the religious it would have done so by now. There have been atheists as long as there have been theists. Besides, it's fucking insulting.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 16, 2012 at 10:02 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(November 16, 2012 at 3:34 am)JohnDG Wrote: just be an example and prove your not evil.

LOL, if that were going to have any effect on the religious it would have done so by now. There have been atheists as long as there have been theists. Besides, it's fucking insulting.

With that attitude it's impossible. Big Grin
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(November 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm)JohnDG Wrote:
(November 16, 2012 at 10:02 am)Rhythm Wrote: LOL, if that were going to have any effect on the religious it would have done so by now. There have been atheists as long as there have been theists. Besides, it's fucking insulting.

With that attitude it's impossible. Big Grin

And I dunno about the US, but atheism is increasing in europe.
[Image: 2ynjmte.jpg]
To push Atheism, you have to prevent the kids from becoming indoctrinated into religion.
You don't need to push atheism, you need to pull theism. (I mean, technically speaking...)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2534 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38779 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Religion is Harmful to Society z7z 24 4678 May 23, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: comet
  Which type of Political Atheism is most influential in human society currently? CristW 19 4804 February 20, 2015 at 9:51 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Disproof Atheism Society Tea Earl Grey Hot 34 6105 June 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0