Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Atheist Hatred
The Atheist Hatred
So I've noticed we atheists have a tendency to focus our hatred rather specifically. It's not a huge mystery as to where it is directed, nor why, but I still see some fun and activation of the ol' brain cells in writing about what and why all the same. Meanwhile I'll be killing those same brain cells with some good ol' Guinness draught.

Now, of course, we focus most of our scorn and contempt on Christianity, and I cannot help but notice that many Christians themselves seem keenly aware of this...yet seem to show no surprise over it, either. Of course we've all seen the whole "Christian persecution" they screech about; 'heaven' forbid that you say "happy holidays!" instead of "merry christmas!" as if it means any fucking different. The American spirit of inclusion stops for Christians and becomes a "Christian American" thing wherein because the first non-natives here with Christian that somehow this country belongs to the Christians; nevermind that if we followed that train of thought we'd all be worshiping tree spirits. Not that I would be opposed to that; at least the Native Americans not only have no problem with homosexual couples but they actually consider such couples sacred; "Two-Spirit people" they call them.

But anyway. We, and Christians, are both keenly aware of what it is that draws the atheist community's ire [and the ire from other religions as well]. It's the hypocrisy. Love thy neighbor but kill all these assholes. Charity for all but be as ruthless a capitalist pig as you can be. Love thy enemies no matter what they do but the moment says something against you, try to censor, bully, and outright attack him or her. All are in equal in god's eyes...unless you're black, gay, a woman, or a disbeliever.

It's this endless torrent of hypocrisy that brings our wrath; that and the fact that Christian, again, seem keenly aware of this and will do everything in their power to be as loud as is humanly possible to try to convince us otherwise...when we can just turn on the TV and see a dozen examples of the hypocrisy.

And then in some witless defense, the argument inevitably comes up. You know the argument I'm talking about. The one that is the most common use of the no-true-scotsman fallacy. We've all heard it a million times and me, personally, if I have to read it or hear it again, even if written by my hand or spoken with my voice, I'm going to flip every table on the planet, so I won't type it.

Now, Christianity is supposed to be a universal religion. The problem with your religion being universal is that you are saying that your beliefs are open to anyone regardless of actual practice. Paul was the one who said it's universal, as a matter of fact, and stressed its emphasis on being so. What this means is that it's appeal is to all...which means that the group is judged by the actions of the individuals. And when the majority of Christians are a bunch of hypocritical contrarians who "believe" one thing but do something entirely different it betrays just how flimsy and useless your faith is. After all, all you need to do is accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. God didn't think this one through too well, did he? If we all followed this concrete fundamental element of Christianity we'd live in a state of fucking anarchy since all you'd need to do is just say "sorry" for fucking up a family of ten. Not to the victims, of course; just to god.

Also what the fuck is up with the whole "it's easier to get into heaven for soanso than it is for noanno" shit? Bible pretty much says "faith in Jesus = you're going to heaven." Why then is there all this shit about rich people having a harder time? What, do rich people have to fill out more paperwork than poor people at the pearly gates??

But yeah. It's the hypocrisy. The holier-than-thou attitude mingled with the indoctrinated idea of "witnessing" and the pervasive hypocrisy that makes Christianity so loathesome to the atheist community. We have muslim terrorists bombing us and flying their planes into our buildings and yet it's the Christians we hate.

Your reasons may be different, though. These are mine. And in truth, I'm merely assuming it's the main reason, since it is the one that makes the most sense to me. If your reasons are different, tell why.
RE: The Atheist Hatred
The terrorist bombings aside, it's really just because Christians are more familiar to us, and we are actually permitted to call them on their hypocrasy. Muslim countries are largely Muslim, and Christians, Hindus, Jews and even non-believers really can't say shit about it. The governments in those countries are also largely theocratic, which again, puts down any chance of other non/believers posing much opposition.
errr... I don't hate christians.
I may hate certain individuals who have done me some wrong, but I can't hate a bunch of people just for what they believe in.
I don't like what they believe in, but that no reason to hate them.... and I'm fully aware that I can't do anything to change it... and hating them for that is just going to make them even more devout, so I don't think it's a positive position to have.
@Gambit: I think that is also a very large part of it, too. To me it is certainly a major reason, but not the absolute reason...to me the hypocrisy rather than the familiarity is what gets me more than anything.
@Pocaracas: I shouldn't say "hate christians" as much as "hate christianity," I realize. It is an easy thing to generalize and I admit I do it quite often when it comes to religious identification. Ironically I live by the maxim "hate the sin, not the sinner" except it's more "hate the religion, not the religious," although this often falls apart quite quickly due to emotional reactions to being faced with a fundamentalist moron who has been presented with all the evidence and proof of evolution and continues to refute it in the face of overwhelming evidence while all the same practicing a life-shaping belief on the barest amount of "evidence."
I'm exceedingly comfortable with feeling disgust and contempt for a bunch of scapegoating pansies. To each his own.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Xtians catch the brunt of it because there are more of them sprinkling their bullshit here than anything else.
(November 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Xtians catch the brunt of it because there are more of them sprinkling their bullshit here than anything else.

Mom!!! Min is stealing my answer and condensing it into one succinct sentence again.
(November 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Xtians catch the brunt of it because there are more of them sprinkling their bullshit here than anything else.

Falls in the realm of "witnessing," yeah. Christians, I think, are the ones who are the most ill-at-ease with their faith, and indeed I can't help but get the impression that most, if not all Christians, are unconvinced at heart. Christianity is a mask to them; they've worn it so long they've forgotten who they really were behind it, but there's still that little part of their minds that ISN'T Christian.

As Hitchens put it best: The voice of reason is soft, but insistent.
Every person is spiteful, envious, angry, greedy ect. Where we channel those negative emotions is different for everyone. Theist project these on people of other religions or none so they can demonize people outside of their religion and reinforce their beliefs that they are right about everything.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(November 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm)JohnDG Wrote: Every person is spiteful, envious, angry, greedy ect. Where we channel those negative emotions is different for everyone. Theist project these on people of other religions or none so they can demonize people outside of their religion and reinforce their beliefs that they are right about everything.

To certain extents, sure. I think it's more about the rationality for greed, spite, anger and all these emotions we associate as "bad." Me, for example. I'm angry because events outside of my influence and control must constantly dictate my life in ways I feel they shouldn't. I'm greedy because I feel I've endured enough shit and that I deserve better by the virtue of my own efforts, though my efforts are impeded again by powers beyond my grasp. And I am envious because people like Paris Hilton and the Kardashians exist; people who have done nothing their entire lives yet have everything while I have to fight like a rabid animal for anything. But these are valid reasons, as I'm sure most here would agree. The only time these emotions truly become bad, ironically, is when they are used by the religious...and the religious ALWAYS feel these things. And you pointed out exactly WHY they're so bad.

And of course it once again ties into hypocrisy, especially that displayed by Christians; they who shame everyone else for feeling things like lust and greed and avarice and anger and yet they are often sexual deviants, hungry for more of all they can lay their hands upon, and always raging against anyone who isn't just like them.

Hell. Just look at Faux News if you want a perfect example of all of that. Every single person on Faux News probably self-identifies as a Christian and yet all of them are guilty of the things they bitch about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  atheism motivated by hatred for gods christcahinkilla 47 10536 July 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheism: hatred of God ideology Jesus.of.Nazareth 95 33770 December 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb