Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Death Knell of the Prohition of Weed
The Death Knell of the Prohition of Weed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20346431

So am I the only one amused by the fact that the cops are screaming in terror? "OH GOD IT'S GOING TO CAUSE PUBLIC SAFETY PROBLEMS!!" Really. REALLY. Are the cops seriously this deluded?? Is this delusion about weed being so harmful this fucking engrained into their minds??

For one thing...if you're stoned, you're probably not driving anywhere. Know why? You're STONED. You're too busy staring at the cheap psychadelic paintings you own or watching Tom & Jerry, coming to brilliant conclusions like "you know what? The mouse? ...Doesn't like the cat..." Or, if you're REALLY active...you're going out for a walk late at night to just be in the zone with nature.

Nobody gets up and fucking goes for a drive when they're stoned. Unless they're experienced potheads where their blood is so laden with THC anyways that their minds and reflexes have adapted to it and do not pose a problem with reaction times.

For another, nobody stoned off their ass is a danger. People who are stoned don't get violent, and if they DO get violent, they were violent BEFORE they got stoned, and the weed at least will take the edge off of that.

Also, this idea of starting companies to sell weed sounds pretty good. I'm thinking of maybe jumping on this bandwagon if/when it comes to Wisconsin. Going to apply for a business loan at the bank and mingle it with my culinary skills, and open a restaurant centered around selling courses where pot-butter is an ingredient in either the appetizer, the main course, the dessert, the drinks, or some/all of the above. Bud-butter is versatile and its flavor can be finely tuned for culinary arts; you need only the creativity and innovation to make it work. And, seriously, get made an excellent meal that gets you stoned? Shit, I might even add a lounge room to said restaurant for slipping-in stoning for watching TV and playing video games and chilling with others, maybe with hookahs for continuing the fun, and of course with proper interior design work involving psychadelic designs and coloring...

Also this is my 1000th post! Woohoo!
RE: The Death Knell of the Prohition of Weed
Hello, cops. In case you weren't aware, we pay you to enforce the law, not to whine about laws passed by an overwhelming margin of voters (in WA state).

Oh yeah, and by the way: weed is legal (in WA) now, so stop hassling harmless potheads.

kthx buh bye

The People
...you know, the ones you fucking work for

Big Grin
(November 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20346431

Also, this idea of starting companies to sell weed sounds pretty good. I'm thinking of maybe jumping on this bandwagon if/when it comes to Wisconsin. Going to apply for a business loan at the bank and mingle it with my culinary skills, and open a restaurant centered around selling courses where pot-butter is an ingredient in either the appetizer, the main course, the dessert, the drinks, or some/all of the above. Bud-butter is versatile and its flavor can be finely tuned for culinary arts; you need only the creativity and innovation to make it work. And, seriously, get made an excellent meal that gets you stoned? Shit, I might even add a lounge room to said restaurant for slipping-in stoning for watching TV and playing video games and chilling with others, maybe with hookahs for continuing the fun, and of course with proper interior design work involving psychadelic designs and coloring...

Dutch legal sellers of weed make good money. Go for it.
I think I should play Devil's Advocate and say that not all people who smoke marijuana are happy-sunshine people. Also, how does being a long-time smoker change your reaction times? I'm all for legalization and I smoke a great deal myself, but OP is filled with assumptions and stereotypes. Sure, the police don't understand drugs and society, but really?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Quote:So am I the only one amused by the fact that the cops are screaming in terror?

I am inclined to want to employ the "which is more likely test" here.

Which is more likely?

A- The cops are genuinely concerned about public safety issues, or

B- The cops are worried about the loss of overtime and a limitation on the growth of police power which this fucking drug war has brought about in the US?

I'm going out on a limb and pick "B".
I've known a few pot smokers who were dangerous. Thing is, they were all LESS dangerous stoned. Drunk or high on something else, the reverse was true.

Anecdote =/= data, of course, but I'm not concerned.
(November 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Also, this idea of starting companies to sell weed sounds pretty good. I'm thinking of maybe jumping on this bandwagon if/when it comes to Wisconsin. Going to apply for a business loan at the bank and mingle it with my culinary skills, and open a restaurant centered around selling courses where pot-butter is an ingredient in either the appetizer, the main course, the dessert, the drinks, or some/all of the above. Bud-butter is versatile and its flavor can be finely tuned for culinary arts; you need only the creativity and innovation to make it work. And, seriously, get made an excellent meal that gets you stoned? Shit, I might even add a lounge room to said restaurant for slipping-in stoning for watching TV and playing video games and chilling with others, maybe with hookahs for continuing the fun, and of course with proper interior design work involving psychadelic designs and coloring...

Congrats on P1K.

And, if one of your offerings is soft yeast rolls slathered in funny butter, I'd move to Wisconsin just to eat at your place.
(November 19, 2012 at 9:31 pm)Annik Wrote: I think I should play Devil's Advocate and say that not all people who smoke marijuana are happy-sunshine people. Also, how does being a long-time smoker change your reaction times? I'm all for legalization and I smoke a great deal myself, but OP is filled with assumptions and stereotypes. Sure, the police don't understand drugs and society, but really?

YA RLY!

Now, see, assumptions, no, but stereotypes, yes. Weed is a very versatile "drug," and its effects are very wide in scope, but try to find the individual who lives that is perfectly calm and non-violent sober but smokes some green and starts getting in his face like a drunken Irishman. Good luck with that, I've been trying to find him for a decade now.

Not everyone who smokes weed is a peaceful hippie, of course, and one of my friends is clear evidence to the contrary, BUT, all the same, that same friend is a BIGGER dick when he's sober. When he is stoned, he's still a dick, he's just a less "coherent" dick which in turns makes him more amusing than annoying/insulting, and his dickishness becomes more good-natured.

(November 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm)Ryantology Wrote:
(November 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Also, this idea of starting companies to sell weed sounds pretty good. I'm thinking of maybe jumping on this bandwagon if/when it comes to Wisconsin. Going to apply for a business loan at the bank and mingle it with my culinary skills, and open a restaurant centered around selling courses where pot-butter is an ingredient in either the appetizer, the main course, the dessert, the drinks, or some/all of the above. Bud-butter is versatile and its flavor can be finely tuned for culinary arts; you need only the creativity and innovation to make it work. And, seriously, get made an excellent meal that gets you stoned? Shit, I might even add a lounge room to said restaurant for slipping-in stoning for watching TV and playing video games and chilling with others, maybe with hookahs for continuing the fun, and of course with proper interior design work involving psychadelic designs and coloring...

Congrats on P1K.

And, if one of your offerings is soft yeast rolls slathered in funny butter, I'd move to Wisconsin just to eat at your place.

That would be what I would use in place of breadsticks. I don't expect profit margins to be soaring sky-high but I DO expect a high amount of return business which will ensure a constant stream of profit, and potentially high volume.
(November 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: YA RLY!

Now, see, assumptions, no, but stereotypes, yes. Weed is a very versatile "drug," and its effects are very wide in scope, but try to find the individual who lives that is perfectly calm and non-violent sober but smokes some green and starts getting in his face like a drunken Irishman. Good luck with that, I've been trying to find him for a decade now.

Not everyone who smokes weed is a peaceful hippie, of course, and one of my friends is clear evidence to the contrary, BUT, all the same, that same friend is a BIGGER dick when he's sober. When he is stoned, he's still a dick, he's just a less "coherent" dick which in turns makes him more amusing than annoying/insulting, and his dickishness becomes more good-natured.
I wouldn't put "drug" in quotations because it is a drug. You're missing the point. No, people don't go into violent rages when they're perfectly normal after they get high, but it doesn't magic fix someone's shitty personality. I know plenty of people who smoke weed that are assholes and they will remain assholes (high or not). However, I will say that your not finding such a person is hardly evidence.

Furthermore, you still haven't explained to me how people who smoke heavy and often are exempt from the adverse effects THC has on driving. It will change your reactions regardless of how often you smoke. You might feel like you have a better handle on it, but you don't. You're still impaired.

As for you post not carrying assumptions: You're assuming your stereotypes are correct (and really, stereotypes are a kind of assumption). You've also said that no one stoned is a danger and that no one stoned is violent. Reality would disagree with you here.

Your second paragraph... Well, if a person is a dick, they are still dick even if you can't understand them. You don't understand them baring ill-will towards you, but they still will.

In closing, I'm seriously completely pro-legalization. However, pretending that problems like high driving don't exist is foolish. The thing the cops aren't understanding is that the problems their worried about don't come from legalizing or even using the drug. It comes from the people using it in the form of their choices and their attitudes.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Annik - yes, people will drive high, and some will exhibit criminal behavior high. (Or drunk.)

Those behaviors are now, and will remain unlawful. Pot being illegal certainly doesn't deter irresponsible people from acting as such. I seriously doubt it's legality will do the opposite, in any meaningful numbers.

In other words, the people who would do so, probably already are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets end the great weed debate dyresand 21 3709 April 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Just in case any of you are on a jury in a weed case... Tiberius 7 2602 February 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: paintpooper