Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Paul - Gone but still an Asshole
Ron Paul - Gone but still an Asshole
http://www.fedsmith.com/2012/11/20/ron-p...principle/

Backing secession from the union and showing his head is firmly planted both in 1860 and up his own ass.
RE: Ron Paul - Gone but still an Asshole
Apparently, Texas has forgotten what it was like the last time they tried to go it alone.

If I didn't have any relatives there, I would sign a petition for them to secede, too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I for one cannot see how you can legitimately call anything "united" if states exist that don't want to be in it. That doesn't seem very united to me.
(November 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I for one cannot see how you can legitimately call anything "united" if states exist that don't want to be in it. That doesn't seem very united to me.

You can legitamately call anything by any name if you make the laws. Fortunately Ron Paul does not make the laws.

As to secession, few things could really benefit this country in the long term more than if red states successfully push secession to a head and are utterly crushed in civil war II.
(November 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I for one cannot see how you can legitimately call anything "united" if states exist that don't want to be in it. That doesn't seem very united to me.

There are something like 25 million people in Texas. When millions of them call for secession, only then would I consider 'the state' to want out. Since it is just a few thousand disaffected rednecks and internet trolls, I'm going to assume most of the rest are content with the status quo of Texas sovereignty.
(November 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm)Chuck Wrote: You can legitamately call anything by any name if you make the laws. Fortunately Ron Paul does not make the laws.
What I mean is, it won't make any sense. If the states aren't united, you cannot call them the "United States" and have it mean what it says. Heck, even in our backwards country, we have methods for letting "states" leave...Scotland is voting on it in a couple of years.

(November 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm)Ryantology Wrote: There are something like 25 million people in Texas. When 12 million of them call for secession, only then would I consider 'the state' to want out. Since it is just a few thousand disaffected rednecks and internet trolls, I'm going to assume most of the rest are content with the status quo of Texas sovereignty.
That wasn't my point. My point was that a state should be able to secede if it wants to. Currently in the US, I understand that there is no legal method for secession. All the states may be united at the moment, but the moment secession becomes popular in one of them, and it is effectively prohibited from leaving the union, you cannot call it "united" anymore without calling into question some definitions.
(November 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm)Chuck Wrote: You can legitamately call anything by any name if you make the laws. Fortunately Ron Paul does not make the laws.
What I mean is, it won't make any sense. If the states aren't united, you cannot call them the "United States" and have it mean what it says. Heck, even in our backwards country, we have methods for letting "states" leave...Scotland is voting on it in a couple of years.

We still have hegemonic aspirations. Having to give consideration to a independent Confederate States of rednecks and service industry fatcats on our shore does not suit that aspiration.
(November 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm)Chuck Wrote: We still have hegemonic aspirations. Having to give consideration to a independent Confederate States of rednecks and service industry fatcats on our shore does not suit that aspiration.
Indeed, and that was all I was commenting on. It just seems odd to me to call something the "united states" if states are forced by law into being "united". If they are in the union voluntarily (which as of today, they are), then all is fine. Secession from the union should be as legal as joining it.

I'm certainly not in favour of secession; I don't think any state would benefit from it at this point. I just think it should be an option.
(November 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Indeed, and that was all I was commenting on. It just seems odd to me to call something the "united states" if states are forced by law into being "united". If they are in the union voluntarily (which as of today, they are), then all is fine. Secession from the union should be as legal as joining it.

I'm certainly not in favour of secession; I don't think any state would benefit from it at this point. I just think it should be an option.

I agree with the observation relative to the word 'united', regardless of current law. Scotland came to mind.
(November 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm)Tiberius Wrote: That wasn't my point. My point was that a state should be able to secede if it wants to. Currently in the US, I understand that there is no legal method for secession. All the states may be united at the moment, but the moment secession becomes popular in one of them, and it is effectively prohibited from leaving the union, you cannot call it "united" anymore without calling into question some definitions.

Fair enough.

It should only be legal if a plurality of the national population wishes to let them go. Every state is in a binding contract to form our union, and the secession of states would have huge effects on others. One state should not have the unilateral right to secede.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4504 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Asshole conservatives. Jehanne 3 377 July 11, 2021 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6298 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Paul Manafort fredd bear 21 3184 March 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Paul Krugman Called It Minimalist 38 6014 October 22, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1016 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4177 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3504 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Oops. Fucked Up Again, Paul Minimalist 2 559 May 18, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 4863 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd