Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh, hallo
Oh, hallo
Greetings, O Fellows Of The Internet! I be Tel. I'm here because I enjoy discussing and debating with people of differing views, this place looks a whole lot better than, say, Christian Forums, which is where I first looked for a forum centred on religious beliefs or the lack thereof. I also have way too much time on my hands due to illness; it appears that TV Tropes and NationStates General aren't doing the job of killing it all. I may or may not stick around on this site.

I am Christian (yes, I probably wouldn't be if I had not been raised in a Christian home), though I often find myself more in agreement on social issues with the atheists around me than parts of my church community. I can become rather annoyed when other theists try to prove God through logic and/or science -- why, it's almost as bad as posting in Comic Sans! -- since such things inevitably involve misrepresentations, ignorance, and fallacies. As I never fail to look like a fool when I in turn attempt to assert my reasons for believing God exists, I may steer clear of doing so here for a while. Asking questions and poking holes is much more fun, anyway.

This doesn't really summarise me, but I cannae think of what to expand on. Again, hallo! <insert obnoxious smiley here>
RE: Oh, hallo
Welcome
Welcome
Quote:but I cannae think of what to expand on. Again, hallo! <insert obnoxious smiley here>

From Scotland? I don't often see it written as 'cannae' (hear it often enough though)

edit: oh, and welcome Tongue
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Howdy!
Welcome. Since I am a few days longer around, here's an advice. It seems to me it is very important to hit the thumbs up every now and then. For instance, the one below this post. Click it, it's addicting and have lots of fun here!
Welcome

Oh, and pay attention to Dutch_Atheist, he seems like an up-and-comer... ;-)
Sum ergo sum
(November 22, 2012 at 9:53 am)Telcontar Wrote: Greetings, O Fellows Of The Internet! I be Tel. I'm here because I enjoy discussing and debating with people of differing views, this place looks a whole lot better than, say, Christian Forums, which is where I first looked for a forum centred on religious beliefs or the lack thereof. I also have way too much time on my hands due to illness; it appears that TV Tropes and NationStates General aren't doing the job of killing it all. I may or may not stick around on this site.

I am Christian (yes, I probably wouldn't be if I had not been raised in a Christian home), though I often find myself more in agreement on social issues with the atheists around me than parts of my church community. I can become rather annoyed when other theists try to prove God through logic and/or science -- why, it's almost as bad as posting in Comic Sans! -- since such things inevitably involve misrepresentations, ignorance, and fallacies. As I never fail to look like a fool when I in turn attempt to assert my reasons for believing God exists, I may steer clear of doing so here for a while. Asking questions and poking holes is much more fun, anyway.

This doesn't really summarise me, but I cannae think of what to expand on. Again, hallo! <insert obnoxious smiley here>
Welocome. Even if you do not try to defend your position "for a while", let me give you some advice.

First off, treat us all as individuals. Secondly, if we attack anything, it is the claim you make, not you. Just like it would be reasonable to attack someone who claimed the earth was flat.

Some here prefer the library, others here don't mind the virbal boxing match. All of us in our daily lives have co workers, family or friends to some extent who do believe. None of us live on an island and while many if not most would like to reason and debate ALL god belief claims out of existence, we are not fascist kitten barbecuers. We do live in the real world and understand that others of the 7 billion of us can and do make claims others may roll their eyes over.

So as long as you don't take our blaspemy personally, you should have a long and enjoyable stay.

But be warned, you WILL have your claims attacked. To us it would be no different than calling BS on flat earth claims, or the Chargers winning the Super Bowl last year(not true, Giants did). That is the way we treat ALL god claims. If you have no evidence, we wont hate you, but do not expect us to treat your claims always with kid gloves.
I'm certainly eager to see how you rationally label yourself as christian when you freely admit that scientific proofs of god make you cringe.

No really, I just can't fathom that one, and you're not the first to say such a thing either.

Welcome aboard anyway.
Hello there.

We have some nutty fundies around here for you. This could be interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hallo friends! isingthereforeiam 18 2622 May 2, 2016 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hallo Alparcero 18 2996 February 14, 2013 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Alparcero
  Hi all / Hallo allemaal Kousbroek 26 4800 November 13, 2012 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Kousbroek