Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution PC Game
Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution PC Game
Thought my current game-programming project might be of some interest to the folks around here, especially those with an interest in the evolution/creation debate. Smile

I'm building a natural selection game with the help of an artist and sound designer. The basic concept is that it dumps a bunch of imperfectly replicating creatures into a 3d, simulated ecosystem, and they... err... imperfectly replicate. From there Darwin takes over, and you end up with selection pressures, speciation, extinction, and so on.

Shorter me: it's an accessible first-principles evolution simulator.

It's avaliable for free download from the official site here: http://www.speciesgame.com/

It's an early-alpha release, so more polish and graphics and features will be added progressively with each update (the next update is an environment overhaul, with migrating forests and biomes). At the moment we're focussing on getting the simulation up and running, so there's not too much gameplay. Quite a few observational tools in there, though.

Give it a play and let me know what you think, and if you're interested in helping us unlock the games potential, you can contribute to the indiegogo campaign here: http://www.indiegogo.com/species . (And if you can't or don't want to, we'd very much appreciate any shares or links)

Let us know what you think!
Qu.

(Note: I was a bit worried this post might come across as spammy, so I cleared it with the mods first. Thanks guys. Smile )
RE: Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution PC Game
What kind of games do you generally program bro?

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing.
I tried some evolutionary alghoritms, but I used a 2d very basic 'world', never really got around to go 3d, I'll check it out. Big Grin
I'll be giving it a download Smile
(November 26, 2012 at 7:19 am)Daniel Wrote: What kind of games do you generally program bro?

Pretty much anything. These days (prior to working on Species, anyway) I mostly stick to 3d tech demos and prototypes, but I've tried my hand at shooters, rpg's and platformers in the past.

You can take a look for yourself: got a small selection of old projects on my blog at the moment.
Looks cool, but if you added very slow changing climates and make the plants evolve also it would be a real evolutionary simulation. Just a thought.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Looked over your blog... You really are a creative fella : )
(November 27, 2012 at 3:46 am)JohnDG Wrote: Looks cool, but if you added very slow changing climates and make the plants evolve also it would be a real evolutionary simulation. Just a thought.

Haha, you might be interested in the development list for 0.5.0. Big Grin

http://www.speciesgame.com/forum/viewtop...?f=11&t=10

The plants will have basic hereditory, though I'm still not sure what traits will be hereditable. For the sake of keeping some CPU free for the creature simulation I can't make them fully-mutable.
boooooooo
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2314 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2228 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 639 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2292 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1329 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4414 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 851 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  New Species Found in Oregon brewer 31 6282 February 11, 2016 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3314 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Remains of new human species found ignoramus 32 6572 September 10, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: MTL