Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some questions
A few questions
Hey everyone. I'm doing an assignment for school. I'm not looking to debate what you believe at all. I just have some questions I need answers to. If any people who AREN'T Christians could answer this, that would be awesome! Thanks!

1. What do you believe about God?
2. What do you believe about the universe?
3. What do you believe about the nature of human beings?
4 What do you believe about life and death?
5. How do we get knowledge?
6. How do you determine right and wrong?
7. What is the meaning of history?
8. If you have a specific religion or recognized belief system you belong to, please state what it is. (ex. Athiest, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc)
RE: some questions
Whoa there buddy... Those be some broad topics that I could go on and on and on about. Seriously, how do I sum up what I think about the universe?? It's big... Really fucking big... Like bigger than the average mind can fathom... How to sum up human nature?? There's books, entire series of books devoted to this subject and you want just a quick one liner?? Nay. Go back to the drawing board.

ETA: By the way Welcome! Funny how so few people actually introduce themselves...
(November 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm)festive1 Wrote: Whoa there buddy... Those be some broad topics that I could go on and on and on about. Seriously, how do I sum up what I think about the universe?? It's big... Really fucking big... Like bigger than the average mind can fathom... How to sum up human nature?? There's books, entire series of books devoted to this subject and you want just a quick one liner?? Nay. Go back to the drawing board.

I'm sorry. They were questions given us for an assignment. We're supposed to be looking into several different religions and worldviews. I think that is why the questions are so broad. That way we could ask multiple people.

If anyone could still help, that would be amazing.
I'll give it a shot, assuming these are genuinely-intentioned questions and nothing to do with trollish entrapment.

Quote:1. What do you believe about God?

I don't.

Quote:2. What do you believe about the universe?

It exists.

Quote:3. What do you believe about the nature of human beings?

We are animals whose sense of superiority evolved out of all proportion to our actual genetic niche.

Quote:4 What do you believe about life and death?

They are opposite states.

Quote:5. How do we get knowledge?

By asking questions and employing critical thinking.

Quote:6. How do you determine right and wrong?

Same way as you, by an innate sense of empathy as a member of a social species.

Quote:7. What is the meaning of history?

If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins? (gibberish but makes just as sense as your nonsensical question. Perhaps you ought to try that one again.)

Quote:8. If you have a specific religion or recognized belief system you belong to, please state what it is. (ex. Athiest, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc)

I don't, and atheism is neither a religion nor a belief system and needs no initial capitalisation.

There you go. I can't help thinking these are pretty odd questions for a school assignment. As a matter of fact, I can't help scenting a presuppositional argument coming up.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: A few questions
1 There's a long history of higher powers. They all never existed.
2. I believe in nothing. I rely on science.
3. We are still apes.
4. Death ends life.
5. Education, science.
6. Morality.
7. There's no meaning.
8. Atheism.

I didn't understand all the questions. What do I believe, or think? And 'meaning' of history, in what way? And who are 'we' in question 5?
(November 26, 2012 at 6:09 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
Quote:8. If you have a specific religion or recognized belief system you belong to, please state what it is. (ex. Athiest, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc)

I don't, and atheism is neither a religion nor a belief system and needs no initial capitalisation.

Nor is it i-before-e. Big Grin

ETA: WTF is is with kids that seem wont to come onto web sites full of strangers, and without so much as a decent introduction, expect said strangers to do their homework for them?
(November 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm)gufis253 Wrote: Hey everyone. I'm doing an assignment for school. I'm not looking to debate what you believe at all. I just have some questions I need answers to. If any people who AREN'T Christians could answer this, that would be awesome! Thanks!

"1. What do you believe about God?"
Answer. Made up, fictional, like Isis, Thor, Mickey Mouse and Allah.

"2. What do you believe about the universe?"

Answer. I don't have to believe in the universe anymore than I have to believe in gravity.

"3. What do you believe about the nature of human beings?"

Answer. That ultimately we are all individuals, but are all capable of doing both good and bad independent on any superstition a individual might falsely hold to be true.

"4. What do you believe about life and death?"

Answer. That it happens to all life and will happen to all of us, just like those dead prior. Just like there was no record of you or I 1 billion years ago, there will be no record of us after our planet dies and our sun dies. Life is a result of biological evolution, specifically DNA. Sorry if that is not sexy enough or magical enough for you, but that is reality.

"5. How do we get knowledge?"

Answer. Not by pulling shit out of our asses or using superstition or ancient myth as a placecard.

"6. How do you determine right and wrong?"

Answer. I would recomend that you read "The New Atheism, by Victor Stinger. It goes into the science of why a god is not needed and also covers all the world's magor religions including those of the Orient and how WE as a species transend in our morals. Your personal pet club and pet god do not determine right or wrong, evolution does.

"7. What is the meaning of history?"

Answer. Macbeth Act 5 Scene 5

"8. If you have a specific religion or recognized belief system you belong to, please state what it is. (ex. Athiest, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc)"

Answer. This is an atheist board, now while some do subscribe to the principles of some traditions, most here do not subscirbe to any religion or god belief at all.
Quote:1. What do you believe about God? There is no evidence for your god or any of the other thousands of gods invented by man.

2. What do you believe about the universe? I don't have to believe; it exists

3. What do you believe about the nature of human beings? Evidence of history suggests that most will look to get away with whatever they can get away with.

4 What do you believe about life and death? There is no need for "belief" ( you seem hung up on that concept). These are two states and I have no trouble differentiating them.

5. How do we get knowledge? I find the scientific method to be far superior than reading a book of iron age fairy tales.

6. How do you determine right and wrong? A good way to start is to examine the legal codes in whatever society you happen to be a member.

7. What is the meaning of history? "History is a lie agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte.

8. If you have a specific religion or recognized belief system you belong to, please state what it is. (ex. Athiest, Buddhist, Agnostic, etc)
Atheism is not a religion or belief system. It is the absence of such nonsense. "Bald" is not a hair color, young fellow.
(November 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Nor is it i-before-e. Big Grin

Well spotted, young Padawan. I see I have taught you well...
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm)gufis253 Wrote: I'm sorry. They were questions given us for an assignment. We're supposed to be looking into several different religions and worldviews. I think that is why the questions are so broad. That way we could ask multiple people.

If anyone could still help, that would be amazing.

What grade/collegiate level is the class that these are an assignment for? I'll play if you say...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have some questions for the posters here. Frank Apisa 348 20073 June 28, 2021 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6086 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4726 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Theists, some questions TheBeardedDude 128 35135 January 31, 2014 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tripwire