Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more religious debate
No more religious debate
I've been thinking about this, and it's only now really dawning on me - I didn't join this forum to debate religion/beliefs. I came here to learn about atheism, and explore all that it entails - or doesn't, as the case may be.

I am a member of a number of religious forums, so if I want to hear the theist point of view I can go to those forums. Although, one must craft questions in a very specific way, otherwise the ban hammer comes down swiftly, and with the wrath of mighty Thor.

My short term memory is terrible, so I'll probably forget this personal revelation in short order. Please please please, if you see me taking part in any of the stupid threads posted by theists, verbally kick me in the nuts.
RE: No more religious debate
Quote:I came here to learn about atheism

[Image: 420px-No_God.svg.png]

Got it now?
(November 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I came here to learn about atheism

[Image: 420px-No_God.svg.png]

Got it now?

Not quite; I'm curious to learn what leads people to lack belief in gods. I'm curious about the supposed correlation between logical thinking and atheism. I'm curious about a lot of things; I'm just not curious to hear any more religious apologetics.
There is no definitive correlation between logical thinking and atheism. Trying to appeal to reason is not a path to disbelief so much as an excuse for not believing. It's like saying I don't believe and now I will come up with anything I can (much of it actually violates academia) to prove I am right in my convictions.....it's what the religious people do to justify their beliefs.

One simply does not believe usually because they have not seen/felt any evidence. I don't believe in vampires, but I am not going to go around wasting my time trying to disprove their existence.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:I'm curious to learn what leads people to lack belief in gods.

Ok. Let's take your average xtian. (Granted, most of them are well below average but WTF.) Why do you suppose that the run-of-the-mill jesus freak thinks his godboy is real but Thor, Allah, Osiris, Quetzlcoatl, Shiva, Hathor, Zeus, etc are phony.

The atheist regards all of them as bullshit.
(November 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm)Gambit Wrote: Not quite; I'm curious to learn what leads people to lack belief in gods.
You don't need to be lead to this position. It's the default position. I've always had default on.
(November 29, 2012 at 11:14 pm)Polaris Wrote: One simply does not believe usually because they have not seen/felt any evidence. I don't believe in vampires, but I am not going to go around wasting my time trying to disprove their existence.

If most people took gods as seriously as they take vampires (and there is no good reason not to), there wouldn't be much time spent convincing people they are not real.
(November 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm)Gambit Wrote: Not quite; I'm curious to learn what leads people to lack belief in gods. I'm curious about the supposed correlation between logical thinking and atheism. I'm curious about a lot of things; I'm just not curious to hear any more religious apologetics.

Sorry, I have to post this... (bolded for emphasis)

Jeremiah 31:31-34
New International Version (NIV)

31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.

“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”
(November 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm)Gambit Wrote: Not quite; I'm curious to learn what leads people to lack belief in gods. I'm curious about the supposed correlation between logical thinking and atheism.

I wouldn't say that there is necessarily a correlation between reason and atheism. I think that where reason takes you is largely a function of what axioms / fundamental presuppositions you're willing to accept, and what your personal standard of evidence is.

As for myself, despite looking, I have not seen sufficient credible evidence that any deities exist, or would even be necessary - as we unfold the secrets of how things appear to work, we find only natural processes (and more questions, of course).

I'll go further and say that even if I became certain of some specific deity claims, I would not worship them, nor change my life in any way.

Others will disagree, of course, and that's OK.
Quote:Sorry, I have to post this...

No, we're sorry. The fact is as an idiot jesus freak it is about all you are capable of doing.

Trotting out absurd bible bullshit means nothing, pal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious debate via Meme Foxaèr 324 54251 November 12, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3786 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3392 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7811 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Debate: God Exists Azu 339 55408 March 31, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Should we be following scholars debate. Mystic 14 3246 March 23, 2016 at 1:04 am
Last Post: The Atheist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5311 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4501 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God RonaldReagansGhost666 253 47367 January 31, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: helyott
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15788 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus