Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion in school
Bug 
Religion in school
My son has been coming home from school lately talking a lot about the baby jebus and god, I can tell he is obviously confused because I have worked hard to pour everything i know about evolution and the big bang etc.

Found out that they have a man coming in telling bible stories and they are making it fun and appealing to the school children. I am becoming increasingly frustrated with this seemingly biased approach but don't really want to kick off about it in the school.

As a biologist do I just keep teaching him everything i know in conjunction with the religious intrusions and let the kids make up their own mind or do I take an alternative route?
RE: Religion in school
I think the most important thing is to teach children how to properly discern what can be proven as truth and what must be dismissed as fiction. If they become religious, that is their choice, but at least the chance of them becoming a fundamentalist that believes god created man and earth 6,000 years ago will be minimized.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I was raised atheist but attended a protestant primary school. Nothing wrong with a little doubt.
My kids are only small at the moment but when this comes up, which it inevitably will, I plan on explaining that the Bible is a really old book full of stories that were written a long time ago. I would also show him some books about Greek myths, Roman gods, etc, so that he can see that "God" has appeared in lots of different stories throughout the world and taken lots of different forms.

I like to think that as long as they are exposed to lots of different information and have a good education in science and rational thinking, they'll make the logical connections all on their own.
We got taught all that shite at school aswell. My parents never sat down to explain anything to me, I just saw right through the bollocks. It was just another book to me. I was forever getting in trouble for not praying at assembly, but I didn't care. It meant nothing to me... but I suppose not all kids will be like me. Tongue
Anyway, I liked dinosaurs too much to believe the earth was less than 10000 years old like my granny told me.

I suppose what I am getting at is kids don't always need everything explained to them. Give them a bit more time to piece things together in their own little heads and go from there.
Cunt
Education should only be based on things that are proven and have evidence to back it. Some history has no evidence but it's also manipulated by who is writing it.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Had "catholic school education" by a catholic priest for 2 years (torture). The the priest got "fired" (retired), because parents complained ybout how he sometimes treated kids (pulling their ears for not knowing answeres to his questions).

Then had lessons interducing me to the the various different existing religions.

Then had "ethics" which was more about the philosophical question of what is moraly right.

I dont know how "religion" is tought in other countries school systems.
Curious, where are you from? I myself wouldn't sit back and wait on it. I'd be at the school in a hurry asking about this bible man. I'd be pretty pissed if some clown were teaching my girls to embrace the nonsense. I'm all for kids learning and taking what they've observed to make up their minds. And I feel that I teach my kids to look for truth, but I wouldn't sit by and let some dickhead push religion on my kids and hope they don't fall victim to the madness.
(November 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm)Voltron Wrote: Curious, where are you from? I myself wouldn't sit back and wait on it. I'd be at the school in a hurry asking about this bible man. I'd be pretty pissed if some clown were teaching my girls to embrace the nonsense. I'm all for kids learning and taking what they've observed to make up their minds. And I feel that I teach my kids to look for truth, but I wouldn't sit by and let some dickhead push religion on my kids and hope they don't fall victim to the madness.

Im from Wales in the UK, yeah that's what i mean i am becoming increasingly frustrated about it, in other aspects of my life im pretty vocal and unashamed of anti theist beliefs however dealing with the subject with the kids is different somehow. I made my own mind up about the shortfalls of religion maybe they will to however I do need to deal with this from a different angle maybe explain how these are just stories with no evidence to back them up.

The bible - the most successful work of fiction ever produced Tongue
My kids did not talk about what went on in school that much, what did you do today? usually elicited the answer 'oh stuff', but one thing they both enjoyed telling me was how they took part the RE teacher, or a bunch of kids who believed in nonsense. I come from an atheist background, and there is a difference between indoctrination and fore knowledge. Don't tell them what to think, but do tell them what you think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awkward School Religious Experiences? Jade-Green Stone 14 1359 December 8, 2018 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  School bible circle ShirkahnW 9 1155 November 20, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Mass shooting in a school? Need God. Mass shooting in a church?.... Chad32 54 11654 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10715 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4905 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Satanists to give invocation at high school football game jenny1972 28 6520 October 29, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: MentalGiant
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19811 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49302 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  I actually think the school board got this right Minimalist 3 1170 November 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  London School of Economics and Free Speech Row Fidel_Castronaut 10 4060 November 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda