Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who knows much about Linux?
Who knows much about Linux?
So, I started one other thread over here a few months ago (click here to go to it), when I was thinking over what laptop to get and wound up getting an awesome new Asus.

Now, here's the thing: I still have the old Dell laptop. It's kinda falling apart, though. It takes forever to boot up, the graphics leave much to be desired, the touchpad is dead entirely and the buttons on the keyboard are falling off (which resulted in my buying a keyboard I can attach with a usb cable). I'd sell it but, honestly, I don't know that I could really get that much for it when you consider all the little things that are wrong with it. However, I do have one idea for it.

See, now, for a while, I've known several people who are big fans of Linux. I've never tried Linux myself, but I'm curious. I never went with it before just because I didn't want to risk losing everything on a computer I was actually going to use. Now, though, all the important stuff has been switched to my new laptop; the old one, while I don't really use it, I could put Linux on it to try it out and see if I like it and can use it effectively.

I thought I'd ask here first, though, if anyone knows much about Linux and might have some advice about how to use it?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Who knows much about Linux?
Not a Linux guru, but you can start with Jolicloud at http://www.jolicloud.com - it's a pretty dead simple distribution if you just want it to be as easy as possible.

Pretty sure that if you want to take the next step, the recommendation will be some flavor of Ubuntu at http://www.ubuntu.com.
I know Linus, does that count? LOL

Try Ubuntu. Pretty simple, download the ISO image, burn it to a CD, and boot it.
or load it on a thumb drive first and try it that way.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(December 3, 2012 at 11:08 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: or load it on a thumb drive first and try it that way.

This is how Hovik has Linux, so it works.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Well, it's better than Windows.

But it has nothing on the Mac.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Well, it's better than Windows.

So I've heard. But I still worry about lack of software for it and as much as it's touted as a solution, I've also heard wine has issues. I also worry that there will be compatibility issues for certain sites.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Wine has issues? Mogen David or April?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

As always, it depends on what you want to do with it. For general computing, an Ubuntu machine can probably do everything you want. And while they've put all the knobs in different places, a full featured linux distro like Ubuntu has many of the same features as Windows. And there is a ton of free software for linux. Some of it better than windows software. Of course, if there are specific programs that you need to run which have no linux alternative and won't run under wine, that's another matter. (There's always VMs, but given this is a laptop, that's probably not a good solution. Though if you're up for a challenge, you could run a linux VM under Windows.)

My advice would be to download and burn a copy of the Ubuntu Live CD (or the USB flash drive version). Boots fresh into Ubuntu without having to install it, and when you're done, you still have your old laptop back.

The best way I think is just to try it and see if you like it.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'd personally recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu. I just don't like the new Ubuntu interface.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux in ten years wish list. highdimensionman 2 347 February 23, 2022 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Linux users? Are there any here? Lemonvariable72 31 4409 September 18, 2015 at 8:33 am
Last Post: ironicprogrammer
  Nothing annoys me quite like linux and using OSS tools KevinM1 12 2076 January 24, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Steam on Linux/Optimus on Linux Autumnlicious 12 3467 June 22, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Big Blue Sky
  OS Battle: which is the best? (OS X, Windows, Linux ...) Meylis Delano Lawrence 38 9828 May 1, 2013 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Love
  Linux woes Darwinian 29 5412 April 17, 2013 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Windows vs Mac OS X vs Linux vs others. Tiberius 15 4810 April 6, 2012 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BoyWonder
  How Much Does The Internet Weigh? Erinome 8 2926 November 11, 2011 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Who knows? tackattack 12 3876 October 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Tiberius