Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of christian morals in the family
History of christian morals in the family
Here’s a family story related to the hypocrisy of Christian moral. I am not really sure why I share this, but oh well…I hope it is coherent, because English is not my native language.

My parents are typical Dutch baby boomers, born in the late 1940’s. They met because my father’s oldest brother was dating my mother’s sister (!) at the age of sixteen. My parents are still happily together.

My mother and aunt were raised reformed, but not really strict. My father and uncle though, were taught that every word in the bible was true; Calvinistic. My father never believed a bit of the bible, but my uncle did so very much. He was an artist and God was his central theme. My grandfather even did not go to church because he only believed the word of the bible. He was a good lad though, raised in different times.

During the late 1970’s it turned out my uncle and aunt could not have children, which was heartbreaking especially to my aunt. The problem was that my uncle couldn’t have a sex at all because of some erectile dysfunction. My aunt went nuts on it and besides lots of therapy to cope; she also had sessions under hypnosis. Through this hypnosis she ‘found out’ she was sexually abused by her father. My mother couldn’t stand this accusation, because she didn’t believe it and also because he died when my mother was just eleven and he couldn’t defend himself. As you can imagine, the relation between my parents and my uncle and aunt became very much troubled. They hardly spoke for years.

In 1987 my parents found out my uncle suffered from cancer. My father immediately started visiting my uncle in hospital and my mother supported my aunt during this process despite the accusations.

Every time my father visited his brother in hospital, he had to wear gloves and a mask (don’t know the exact word) on his mouth to prevent bacterial infection. My father found this very odd and after weeks of visiting he suddenly saw the light; his brother doesn’t have cancer, he has aids and the glove was not to protect his brother, but my father (at the time, not a lot was known on HIV). My father asked my uncle on the next visit and he, already very ill, indeed admitted he had aids. My father told his brother that he would tell their parents later at night, because they still had hope for my uncle to recover. My uncle agreed.

In the following weeks, my uncle’s condition got worse and therefore my uncle asked my father and the doctor to set up euthanasia. My father told my grandfather and he supported his son’s wish to end his suffering (although it was against his beliefs!). His wife was not involved, because my uncle knew she would never approve it. Autumn 1988, the family was gathered around the bed and my aunt asked the doctor what the purpose of the injection was? The doctor lied, following my uncle’s wish to die.

Of course my parents were very aware that my uncle had been secretly gay, but did not inform the rest of the family to spare my uncle’s legacy. My aunt later learned the truth somehow and drank poison in a suicide attempt. She survived, but a few years later she died of throat cancer as a result of this attempt.

After her death in 1997…the family found letters on different hidden places in their house. Some of the letters were written by my uncle’s secret lovers and others were of my aunt. In the letters my aunt admitted she was never sexually abused by her grandfather.

Anybody else eager to share happy stories involving Christian morals?
RE: History of christian morals in the family
(December 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Here’s a family story related to the hypocrisy of Christian moral. I am not really sure why I share this, but oh well…I hope it is coherent, because English is not my native language.

My parents are typical Dutch baby boomers, born in the late 1940’s. They met because my father’s oldest brother was dating my mother’s sister (!) at the age of sixteen. My parents are still happily together.

My mother and aunt were raised reformed, but not really strict. My father and uncle though, were taught that every word in the bible was true; Calvinistic. My father never believed a bit of the bible, but my uncle did so very much. He was an artist and God was his central theme. My grandfather even did not go to church because he only believed the word of the bible. He was a good lad though, raised in different times.

During the late 1970’s it turned out my uncle and aunt could not have children, which was heartbreaking especially to my aunt. The problem was that my uncle couldn’t have a sex at all because of some erectile dysfunction. My aunt went nuts on it and besides lots of therapy to cope; she also had sessions under hypnosis. Through this hypnosis she ‘found out’ she was sexually abused by her father. My mother couldn’t stand this accusation, because she didn’t believe it and also because he died when my mother was just eleven and he couldn’t defend himself. As you can imagine, the relation between my parents and my uncle and aunt became very much troubled. They hardly spoke for years.

In 1987 my parents found out my uncle suffered from cancer. My father immediately started visiting my uncle in hospital and my mother supported my aunt during this process despite the accusations.

Every time my father visited his brother in hospital, he had to wear gloves and a mask (don’t know the exact word) on his mouth to prevent bacterial infection. My father found this very odd and after weeks of visiting he suddenly saw the light; his brother doesn’t have cancer, he has aids and the glove was not to protect his brother, but my father (at the time, not a lot was known on HIV). My father asked my uncle on the next visit and he, already very ill, indeed admitted he had aids. My father told his brother that he would tell their parents later at night, because they still had hope for my uncle to recover. My uncle agreed.

In the following weeks, my uncle’s condition got worse and therefore my uncle asked my father and the doctor to set up euthanasia. My father told my grandfather and he supported his son’s wish to end his suffering (although it was against his beliefs!). His wife was not involved, because my uncle knew she would never approve it. Autumn 1988, the family was gathered around the bed and my aunt asked the doctor what the purpose of the injection was? The doctor lied, following my uncle’s wish to die.

Of course my parents were very aware that my uncle had been secretly gay, but did not inform the rest of the family to spare my uncle’s legacy. My aunt later learned the truth somehow and drank poison in a suicide attempt. She survived, but a few years later she died of throat cancer as a result of this attempt.

After her death in 1997…the family found letters on different hidden places in their house. Some of the letters were written by my uncle’s secret lovers and others were of my aunt. In the letters my aunt admitted she was never sexually abused by her grandfather.

Anybody else eager to share happy stories involving Christian morals?

I don't get it. How does this reflect poorly on Christian Morals?
It's a family story including christian morals, not an essay.
As strange as I feel saying this, I agree with Drich. What does this have to do with Christian morals?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I shouldn't have posted it, or with a different topic name.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to share how firm belief and hypocrisy destroyed the lifes of several of my family members. I regret it now.
Don't regret it. I see what you're getting at now, however, you could have linked the beliefs more with their motivations for their hypocrisy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: Anybody else eager to share happy stories involving Christian morals?

Eager? Not exactly, but I've got a few. Here's one:
My mom was a strict Catholic. She met my dad, they got pregnant, and had a shotgun wedding. Dad's a bipolar alcoholic, and generally very unpleasant person (to put it mildly). Mom went and talked to a priest about wanting to leave dad about 2 years into the marriage. The priest asked if he beat my mom or my brother (I wasn't around yet). No. So the priest counseled her to stay in her shitty, emotionally and verbally abusive marriage (I believe it became physically abusive at some point, though I'm not 100% sure about that) because divorce was frowned upon by the Church. About 8 years later, I came along. They finally divorced after a total of 16 years together. It's a mind-fuck to realize that your family would have been better off if your mom had just up and left the psycho-drunk well before your birth, thus negating your existence.
I think valuing the "sanctity" of marriage above the emotional, psychological, and physical safety and well-being of members of a family falls nicely into the "fucked up Christian morals" category.
Don't feel weird about sharing, Dee Dee. Think of it like emotional/psychological vomit, better out than in. Smile
(December 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm)festive1 Wrote: My mom was a strict Catholic. She met my dad, they got pregnant,
Uh, no, I dated a strict Catholic once, and that doesn't happen. Your mom was a pretty laid back Catholic (pun intended).
You too eh? None of the catholics I dated ever got pregnant either (save 1) but they all got railed. I mean really knocked the hinges off. Catholics are fun huh. Shame and guilt is incredibly intoxicating.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm)festive1 Wrote: My mom was a strict Catholic. She met my dad, they got pregnant, and had a shotgun wedding.

They!?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7406 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88894 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2103 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2778 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1762 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1679 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3734 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  History Repeats Itself Shuffle 79 16644 August 18, 2015 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Whoopi speaks out against the duggar family dyresand 49 11786 June 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  New result on Jesus family ossuaries watchamadoodle 20 4802 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13