Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Andromeda Galaxy And Friends
The Great Andromeda Galaxy And Friends
[Image: M31_rgb_lum_fnlc.jpg]

I promised someone I'd post this when I was able to take the image, so here it is.

I've been a long time trying to get this one. It is one of the most challenging objects I've done. I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but it is the best I've done to date.

Andromeda's friends in the image are:

To the top left, Messier 110, is a a dwarf elliptical galaxy, and another satellite galaxy of Andromeda.

To the bottom right, Messier 32, is a dwarf spheroidal galaxy that is a satellite of the Andromeda Galaxy

The Andromeda galaxy is about 2.5 million light years away, and is so large that I can't get it all in my image due to the size of the chip in my camera and the foca,l length of my scope. A full sized chip might get mosty of it. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those.

Image:

13x5min., 65 minutes total time at ISO 800
Image was taken on August 16, 2012 at the LAS James Baker Observatory, at Curby, Indiana.

Enjoy.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: The Great Andromeda Galaxy And Friends
Thanks Oro-man Smile
Brilliant, as usual Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Beautiful, peach!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Awesome.
I must say that is a particularly good shot it has such depth and there is a really fine composition to it. That is such a good picture.
Breathtakingly, achingly beautiful. The dust lanes are so sharply defined, it's almost as though you could step into the picture and explore it. Very inspiring.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Thanks, folks. I've got more to come. Stay tuned.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Great Conjunction. Jehanne 13 851 October 22, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 600 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Lee Smolin's "Time Reborn" and the Andromeda Paradox Gemini 17 3067 August 15, 2016 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ain't Science Great...as Opposed to Superstition? Minimalist 0 712 January 8, 2016 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  13.2 Billion Year Old Galaxy Minimalist 27 5215 September 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Honey, I Blew up the Galaxy AFTT47 0 694 March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 715 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1593 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  What's 700 Million Years Among Friends? Minimalist 15 3533 September 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations little_monkey 7 2495 September 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet