Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False skepticism
False skepticism
One of the most insulting things about conspiracy theories and those who support them is that they disguise themselves with the veil of skepticism, when in fact they are nothing of the kind. Every time I hear someone say that believing in so and so conspiracy is being 'skeptical' of the government I cringe. Government reports into 9/11 or the JFK assassination are made by independent committees of experts and scientists, in addition to government experts. A huge variety of people and consensus go into them.

In mirror to this these same people often directly parrot nuts like Alex Jones or Loose Change videos, made by amateurs, idiots and cranks and they offer no skepticism at all of any of this, blindly parroting what is told to them. It's the same as being 'skeptical' of evolution, or being 'skeptical' that the earth is round.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: False skepticism
[Image: skepticism%20is%20a%20virtue%2C%20I%20do...0-%20w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: One of the most insulting things about conspiracy theories and those who support them is that they disguise themselves with the veil of skepticism, when in fact they are nothing of the kind. Every time I hear someone say that believing in so and so conspiracy is being 'skeptical' of the government I cringe. Government reports into 9/11 or the JFK assassination are made by independent committees of experts and scientists, in addition to government experts. A huge variety of people and consensus go into them.

In mirror to this these same people often directly parrot nuts like Alex Jones or Loose Change videos, made by amateurs, idiots and cranks and they offer no skepticism at all of any of this, blindly parroting what is told to them. It's the same as being 'skeptical' of evolution, or being 'skeptical' that the earth is round.

The only insult i see i someone who assumes that the forum members don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination.

Maybe you better do some reading before typing down more of your bs.
I suggest you start with the WCR.
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
People mix up skepticism with paranoia a lot.
(December 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm)Kousbroek Wrote: The only insult i see i someone who assumes that the forum members don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination.

All I am saying is that there are similar claims of being skeptical with both conspiracy theories (multiple gunmen, which has been dis-proven many times.) and all the 9/11 truth garbage, which both disguise themselves as skepticism. I'm entirely sure what you are referring to when you say I don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination. I know that one involved the president being shot and one involved terrorists flying planes into buildings.... and that's different. Could you actually tell me what you are talking about before being insulting?
I'd like to ask that a good start might be to clarify what is meant by the WCR. My research has thrown up West Coast Railway (Victoria), West Cross Route in London, working capital requirement, World Classic Rockers (a rock band featuring former members of Steppenwolf), WCR (a radio station in the West Country), a similarly-named station in Wolverhampton, World Championship Rugby (a 2004 rugby union video game), "WCR Heat Exchangers" (a "leader in Plate Heat Exchanger Service and Spare Parts"), and WCR Guitar Pickups, among many others. All very interesting but I don't see the connection.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm)Kousbroek Wrote: The only insult i see i someone who assumes that the forum members don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination.

All I am saying is that there are similar claims of being skeptical with both conspiracy theories (multiple gunmen, which has been dis-proven many times.) and all the 9/11 truth garbage, which both disguise themselves as skepticism. I'm entirely sure what you are referring to when you say I don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination. I know that one involved the president being shot and one involved terrorists flying planes into buildings.... and that's different. Could you actually tell me what you are talking about before being insulting?
Insulting ?
Look who's talking ...
How gullible do you think i am ?
Now to get to your flat out lie on the multiple gunman remark, did you ever hear of the HSCA ?
It seems to me that you don't know what you are talking about.
Once again, maybe you better do some relevant reading before you defend your precious government.
The JFK assassination is imo the biggest stain on the US governments' credibility and you should be ashamed of yourself for defending and perpetuating the lies surrounding it.

(December 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'd like to ask that a good start might be to clarify what is meant by the WCR.

Warren commission report ...
R. Gervais
(December 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm)Kousbroek Wrote:
(December 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: All I am saying is that there are similar claims of being skeptical with both conspiracy theories (multiple gunmen, which has been dis-proven many times.) and all the 9/11 truth garbage, which both disguise themselves as skepticism. I'm entirely sure what you are referring to when you say I don't know the difference between 9/11 and the JFK assassination. I know that one involved the president being shot and one involved terrorists flying planes into buildings.... and that's different. Could you actually tell me what you are talking about before being insulting?
Insulting ?
Look who's talking ...
How gullible do you think i am ?
Now to get to your flat out lie on the multiple gunman remark, did you ever hear of the HSCA ?
It seems to me that you don't know what you are talking about.
Once again, maybe you better do some relevant reading before you defend your precious government.
The JFK assassination is imo the biggest stain on the US governments' credibility and you should be ashamed of yourself for defending and perpetuating the lies surrounding it.

(December 7, 2012 at 5:52 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I'd like to ask that a good start might be to clarify what is meant by the WCR.

Warren commission report ...

Ladies and gentlemen, example A.
(December 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, example A.

Yeah good one ... meaningless and dumb but still a good one .. i bet you're a fine patriotic republican .... Thinking
R. Gervais
I was smoking lots of weed one night and fell into a documentary about the first landing on the moon and by the end of it I firmly believed the landing was staged. Great mockumentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_o...kumentary)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Punk Rock Skepticism chimp3 2 773 August 17, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pretend skepticism snerie 2 760 June 18, 2017 at 5:16 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Teaching skepticism mihoda 14 2089 January 22, 2017 at 6:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Agnostic Skepticism- My Views RiddledWithFear 76 9354 November 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Pseudo-skepticism chimp3 0 974 July 21, 2016 at 4:43 am
Last Post: chimp3
  An example of false perceptions.......... Brian37 1 875 April 22, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Needed: A new sub-subforum: "Skepticism, Pseudoscience & Just Plain Bat Shit Crazy" Whateverist 26 7809 February 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Science Denialism or False Hope? Tiberius 18 5960 June 18, 2012 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Skepticism Debunked!!! :P Lehrling 10 3333 December 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Psychic prediction of mass graves turns out false Doubting Thomas 35 10020 July 12, 2011 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Epimethean