Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Government kowtows to religious lobby
UK Government kowtows to religious lobby
... but is anyone really surprised?

CofE gay marriage 'to be illegal'

As a 'Brit', I want to apologise to the secular world for the short sightedness of my Government. Be it know that I never voted for them.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: UK Government kowtows to religious lobby
This law should go dirrctly to the European Court of Human Rights, if you ask me.
(December 11, 2012 at 11:32 am)Stimbo Wrote: As a 'Brit', I want to apologise to the secular world for the short sightedness of my Government. Be it know that I never voted for them.

No one voted for this coalition so they seem to do what they damn well please.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yes, that's true enough. It's just that there's a tendency to tar people with the brush of their Government, as though it's their fault what their politicians get up to.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Well, from my point of view, Portugal has legal gay marriage... Yet, we are fucked in everything else. I'm starting to understand Greece alot more now.
I see the line between state and religion crossed here.
Churches should be inderpendent from the goverment and decide for themselves whom they give the right to marry to within their comunity.

Other than that, I had hoped that the trend amongs "modern" conservatives to move away from backwards social issues had also reached the UK.

(December 11, 2012 at 11:42 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: This law should go dirrctly to the European Court of Human Rights, if you ask me.

The european high court cannot legaly intervene here.
astonished. utterly astonished.
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
(December 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No one voted for this coalition so they seem to do what they damn well please.
Well they are in power; suffice to say, someone voted for them. I did for one. I should remind you that the government is made up of all elected MPs, not just the controlling party (or parties). Indeed, in the article it's stated that the opposition party (Labour) have pledged votes to this cause.

In any case, this is a step backwards for the Church of England (after their other step backward when denying female bishops a few weeks ago). However, they are the only church being banned from performing same-sex marriages; the Quakers and Unitarians, as well as some Jewish groups are still waiting a decision by the government.
(December 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Yes, that's true enough. It's just that there's a tendency to tar people with the brush of their Government, as though it's their fault what their politicians get up to.

Happens to us all the time.

[Image: bush-idiot.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World government - Maitreya scoobysnack 41 5001 March 14, 2016 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32878 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Would you rather live under an oppressive religious or securlar government? Polaris 43 11863 January 22, 2013 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Brian37