Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supernatural Plants
Supernatural Plants
Vertical Gardens With Supernatural Healing Powers

Quote:We’ve discussed before the benefits of plants and vertical gardens–how they can not only beautify indoor and outdoor spaces, but can help decrease energy usage by providing insulation, improve indoor air quality, even provide a place to grow food when floor space is scarse. But ward off evil spirits? The designing Campana Brothers think so.

For the facade of Sao Paulo design shop, Firma Casa, the brothers designed a green wall with Sansevieria trifasciata (commonly known as snake plant), a nod to Brazilian popular culture and a plant used in African-Brazilian religious rituals for its supernatural protective and healing powers.

I'm not entirely sure this belongs in "skepticism" per se, but I don't think it belongs just in the botany section.

I have spent the morning dealing with a nasty sinus headache and searching out urban gardening solutions to the fact that I'll be losing a yard and living in a condo for the next couple of years. A condo with a south-west-facing, but very small balcony. I like this blog a lot and it offers many interesting ideas and articles. Why on earth should it rely on such backhanded ways of gaining attention?

You can see from the pictures that the design was interesting enough in itself that it shouldn't have required a nod to superstition.

Plants have no supernatural powers. I think they are one of the last areas where people are able to perpetuate the "god of the gaps" principle. Their lives are utterly and completely alien to lay people, especially to those who, like me, received only a 3 day education in botany during school. Thus, all sorts of bullshit belief is maintained.

There are no evil spirits, and if there were plants wouldn't do dick all against them. Plants clean out certain toxins from the air, but they don't balance your chakras, promote feng shui or respond to ley lines. Fucking around with them as medicines without consulting a medical professional who is up-to-date on the latest peer-reviewed findings can lead to dangerous results, whether from poisoning or from taking plant-based meds and NOT FDA approved drugs.

And for the record, while I like the vertical garden design, the snake plant is an ugly motherfucker.

[Image: SuperLimao-Studio-Campana-brothers-firma...tzer-1.jpg]
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Supernatural Plants
Just like Princess Robot Bubblegum said in the GTA 4 manga parody.

"My greatest power is MERCHANDISING!"
(December 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: And for the record, while I like the vertical garden design, the snake plant is an ugly motherfucker.

[Image: Snake_Plant1.jpg]

I rather like the snake plant. I see myself in it's unbroken simplicity. It's one tough son of a bitch to kill, often marred by the world around it, but always a bit of delicate pattern to be found in it's smooth broad stalks. Of course, I've often found beauty in things most people ignore.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Well, the belief in supernatural plants certainly has some ancient roots (pun intended).
(December 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Just like Princess Robot Bubblegum said in the GTA 4 manga parody.

"My greatest power is MERCHANDISING!"

Pretty sure Yogurt in Spaceballs said that too.

Snake plant just isn't my thing, Cin. I've been researching plants for the condo for 2 weeks now - there are some dubiously "pretty" plants on there, but the snake plant ain't.
Why not just go tried and true like english ivy? Ivy climbers with lavender hedgerows, done.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'll shoot you the firm and tentative lists depending on what's available locally or on the net and how much space we have. There will be pictures later, of course.
I only know this plant as "Mother-in-law's Tongue"

Do we have a botanical name?

Yes we do!

S. trifasciata laurentii

http://houseplants.about.com/od/foliagep...ePlant.htm

Apparently close relative of "Snake Plant" suitable for low light conditions

now you know Tongue
There is a small leafed ivy cultivar often sold as a house plant which I've admired called 'Gold Heart'. Like any ivy it could probably get out of hand but with an able pair of snippers you could probably keep it in check.

[Image: 4101187171_bb081ecbd0.jpg]
Hedera helix 'Gold Heart' by Jim's Plants, on Flickr
oooo- that's lovely! Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion of supernatural activities Jose 32 8669 August 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
Question If there is no such thing as the supernatural, then how do you explain this? Revelation777 70 10049 July 18, 2014 at 12:57 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Supernatural phenomenon? That guy who asked questions 15 5605 June 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Blind Faith: the Fail-Safe of the Supernatural Admiral Ackbar 4 2516 June 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh