Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubble glimpses 13.3 Byo galaxies
Hubble glimpses 13.3 Byo galaxies
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy...f_the.html

Quote:An incredibly deep image taken by Hubble Space Telescope has made an amazing discovery: a group of seven galaxies that existed just after the Big Bang itself! One of them may be the most distant galaxy ever seen, a soul-crushing 13.3 billion light years away, and seen as it existed just 380 million years after the Universe itself was born.
RE: Hubble glimpses 13.3 Byo galaxies
Still no sign of God.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Still no sign of God.

It's mystery to me why God needed to create all that empty space in the first place.
(December 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: It's mystery to me why God needed to create all that empty space in the first place.

He's not known for being efficient. Take the plagues for example, why go through all of that trouble when he could have just unhardened the pharoah's heart? He's not even trying, really.
(December 12, 2012 at 11:09 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(December 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: It's mystery to me why God needed to create all that empty space in the first place.

He's not known for being efficient. Take the plagues for example, why go through all of that trouble when he could have just unhardened the pharoah's heart? He's not even trying, really.

He is known for his invisibility-skills. Highly useful by the way, since he is everywhere.
(December 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy...f_the.html

Quote:An incredibly deep image taken by Hubble Space Telescope has made an amazing discovery: a group of seven galaxies that existed just after the Big Bang itself! One of them may be the most distant galaxy ever seen, a soul-crushing 13.3 billion light years away, and seen as it existed just 380 million years after the Universe itself was born.

How the hell do they even know what they're looking at?? I'm amazed by these astronomer/scientists. I look at it and think, "that's a lot of christmas lights." Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 13, 2012 at 1:47 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(December 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy...f_the.html

How the hell do they even know what they're looking at?? I'm amazed by these astronomer/scientists. I look at it and think, "that's a lot of christmas lights." Undecided

SEE?! JESUS IS EVERYWHERE!
(December 13, 2012 at 1:50 am)overlord fombax Wrote:
(December 13, 2012 at 1:47 am)Cinjin Wrote: How the hell do they even know what they're looking at?? I'm amazed by these astronomer/scientists. I look at it and think, "that's a lot of christmas lights." Undecided

SEE?! JESUS IS EVERYWHERE!

Blasphemy, I thank Yammerdud for the creation of little shiny lights. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Still no sign of God.

Can't you see him? He's just there, second star to the right and straight on till morning.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Trying to fathom 13.3 billion light years makes my brain seize up.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Huge ring of galaxies challenges thinking on cosmos zebo-the-fat 3 406 January 12, 2024 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9866 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Hubble breaks cosmic distance record Kosh 5 1674 March 22, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Kosh
  Did Hubble can it wrong? little_monkey 24 3753 November 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  NASA Hubble Finds a True Blue Planet pocaracas 2 1995 July 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Hubble is dead, long live hubble 2, and hubble 3. Anomalocaris 5 2026 June 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Glimpses of the Infant Universe thesummerqueen 1 1043 November 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Dark Matter, Invisible Galaxies = Spiritual Realm? xclo 5 3641 April 28, 2010 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Paul the Human