Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science might have found why some people are gay.
Science might have found why some people are gay.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012...le-are-gay
I find it intreasting how we might have found why some people are gay, and this is a close to home issue as I am also gay and it intreasting to know why. It should be proven in 6 months. And the comments made me laugh as there so stupid.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Science might have found why some people are gay.
I can't believe what assholes those commenters are. Even when I was a fundamentalist and believed (begrudgingly) homosexuality was a sin, I could never bring myself to express that at all, let alone as passionately as these idiots.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Would be interesting to know just what does "cause" homosexuality in humans other than making guesses regarding population density, or some of the pseudo reasons (past life etc etc)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 13, 2012 at 11:19 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I can't believe what assholes those commenters are. Even when I was a fundamentalist and believed (begrudgingly) homosexuality was a sin, I could never bring myself to express that at all, let alone as passionately as these idiots.

Really, if this is the hill to die on for fundamentalist Christianity, it'd be for the best if it died out.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Meh, we talking about the same jackasses that -already- claim that we are born into sin? Jerkoff

Like anything else, no matter which way this pans out motivated christards will be falling all over themselves to claim that the findings support their articles of faith.

:
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Original topic aside, Kichi, I love your new banner Great
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Those comments make me sad.
(December 14, 2012 at 1:05 am)Gambit Wrote: Those comments make me sad.

Which ones are those Gambit? Heart
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Reading a critique of Paul Cameron's research on homosexuality concerning the 1983 ISIS survey (ISIS being the former name of Cameron's group, The Family Research Institute) :

Cameron's claim that, "having a homosexual parent(s) appears to increase the risk of incest with a parent by a factor of about 50," based on a survey of several thousand people is an inference drawn from a sub-sample consisting of a mere 17 respondents.

Quote:Thus, even if the numbers had come from a representative sample, the only valid conclusion that the Cameron group could have drawn is that the true proportion of adults who report having a homosexual parent and being an incest victim is somewhere between -4% (effectively, zero) and +62%. This is such a wide margin of error as to be meaningless. Moreover, because this confidence interval includes zero, the Cameron group cannot legitimately conclude that the true number of children of homosexual parents (in the 8 municipalities sampled) who were victims of parental incest was actually different from zero.

The critique also criticizes the validity of the questionnaire used in the survey (citing issues such as respondent fatigue, overly complex questions, and so on). I think the gem in the survey however comes from a question in which respondents were asked why they thought they had developed the sexual orientation they had, they were given a list of 44 options, including the response, "I failed at heterosexuality."

For more fun:

or, alternatively,

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Reading a critique of Paul Cameron's research on homosexuality concerning the 1983 ISIS survey (ISIS being the former name of Cameron's group, The Family Research Institute) :

Cameron's claim that, "having a homosexual parent(s) appears to increase the risk of incest with a parent by a factor of about 50," based on a survey of several thousand people is an inference drawn from a sub-sample consisting of a mere 17 respondents.

Quote:Thus, even if the numbers had come from a representative sample, the only valid conclusion that the Cameron group could have drawn is that the true proportion of adults who report having a homosexual parent and being an incest victim is somewhere between -4% (effectively, zero) and +62%. This is such a wide margin of error as to be meaningless. Moreover, because this confidence interval includes zero, the Cameron group cannot legitimately conclude that the true number of children of homosexual parents (in the 8 municipalities sampled) who were victims of parental incest was actually different from zero.

The critique also criticizes the validity of the questionnaire used in the survey (citing issues such as respondent fatigue, overly complex questions, and so on). I think the gem in the survey however comes from a question in which respondents were asked why they thought they had developed the sexual orientation they had, they were given a list of 44 options, including the response, "I failed at heterosexuality."

For more fun:

or, alternatively,

Everything in this post (except the PSLC) is complete bullshit, it's all been debunked. You know the FRC have been regarded as a unscientic organization, and thus full of shit right. Also the Southern Poverty Law Center info has not been updated as the research need to go thought peer review thus it is possibly out of date.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why 'Science' tries to separate the beginning from Evolution! theMadJW 100 8457 May 26, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Some people believe that gravity doesn't exist notimportant1234 75 10061 October 19, 2017 at 11:04 am
  Stupidiest Anti Science Statement I Have Encountered Amarok 28 6478 May 21, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  400,000 Year Old Cranium Found in Portugal Minimalist 29 4671 March 29, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Largest diversity of dinosaur tracks to be found The Valkyrie 4 724 March 28, 2017 at 7:24 am
  Penguins the Size of Humans (Fossils found) The Valkyrie 22 3700 February 23, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen GrandizerII 4 1590 January 4, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3346 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I found a neat book to teach kids the basics of Evolution Milton42 1 919 August 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Oldest Clovis Sites Found Thus Far Minimalist 24 4926 July 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris