Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm new here
I'm new here
I'm jay, searched on the web and found this site. I'm one that never fell for the control and hate spewed by religion.

What bothers me the most is the lack of common sense and utter lack of respect for those with differing views.

So, nice to meet all of you.
RE: I'm new here
Hello Jay. It's good to meet you.
Welcome-welcome.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Nice to meet you too. Don't worry, you won't be new for long.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 17, 2012 at 12:26 am)JayZero Wrote: What bothers me the most is the lack of common sense and utter lack of respect for those with differing views.
^ This applies equally both ways.

Welcome aboard! Cheers!
Welcome Jay
Welcome.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Enjoy the forum!
(December 17, 2012 at 12:26 am)JayZero Wrote: I'm jay, searched on the web and found this site. I'm one that never fell for the control and hate spewed by religion.

What bothers me the most is the lack of common sense and utter lack of respect for those with differing views.

So, nice to meet all of you.

Welcome.

But just to warn you at least with me as an individual, I hate the word "respect". I may like a person but that does not mean I like everything that person might claim.

If a person values treating women like property does that deserve "respect"? If someone thinks gays should not be allowed to get married does that deserve "respect"?

Everyone deserves the government protection of having the ability to make claims I don't agree with. But the earth is not flat and if someone goes around claiming it is that does not deserve blind, hands off taboo status.

I don't use the word "respect". I use the word "value". I value that which can be demonstrated, not merely uttered.

There is a huge difference between a person, and what a person might claim. Claims are not people, claims are positions people hold. While we should value each other's human rights, claims by themselves should not get blind protection.

If humans never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.
I think you're showing the exact lack of common sense that the OP was referring to. Let's consider his wording for a moment "utter lack of respect". This implies explicit disrespect for those with differing values. You seem to want to excuse that kind of behaviour, Brian. You've made it clear that yours is conditional. "I'll show them respect when they earn it from me". Treating someone with respect and dignity is different from respecting their views, and I believe the former is what the OP is referring to more than the latter. There is no need to respect somebody else's conflicting values so long as you show that person you are capable of being respectful and treating them as equal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here Nomistic 13 520 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 953 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1253 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1081 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Here probablynothing#34 18 1367 June 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir