Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Majority of Americans think the GOP is too extreme
Majority of Americans think the GOP is too extreme
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/201...oo-extreme

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this; 53 percent of the nation agrees with me. The president's approval rating is higher than his Republican counterparts and more people think the Republicans need to be willing to compromise on the fiscal cliff deal than think the Dems need to compromise.

The big question for the Republican party is, are they going to listen to these stats and use them to become a more mainstream political party or are they going to stay in their echo chamber and get even more extreme?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Majority of Americans think the GOP is too extreme
(December 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm)TaraJo Wrote: The big question for the Republican party is, are they going to listen to these stats and use them to become a more mainstream political party or are they going to stay in their echo chamber and get even more extreme?

I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.
they will have to become more moderate and make consecions, even if it means for them to sacrifice a high ranking member of their party.

If you drive over the fiscal cliff you will ruin the world economy.
(December 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: they will have to become more moderate and make consecions, even if it means for them to sacrifice a high ranking member of their party.

If you drive over the fiscal cliff you will ruin the world economy.

The republican party is a party solely for rich white men who either inherited their money or made their money in dodgy ways that did not enrich the society. They would rather the world go down in flames than said rich white man be prevented from contributing even less to the welfare of the society. That is their sole principle and only cause.

Everything else, abortion, defence, christian fundamentalistm, immigration, etc, etc, are just crass ploys to draft idiots of America to unwittingly serve their real cause.
(December 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm)TaraJo Wrote: The big question for the Republican party is, are they going to listen to these stats and use them to become a more mainstream political party or are they going to stay in their echo chamber and get even more extreme?

That being the case, if they refuse to become more moderate they're going to become too extreme for mainstream America, they're going to be replaced with 'something.' Guess the question then becomes 'what will they be replaced with?'

Personally, I'm hoping the party falls into more of a libertarian mindset. The best known Republican style Libertarian is Ron Paul; as much as there is that I disagree with Ron Paul about, at least I can respect him.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm)TaraJo Wrote: as much as there is that I disagree with Ron Paul about, at least I can respect him.

I can't. Other republican still have the redeeming quality of being sincerely unscrupulous. Ron Paul lacks even that.
(December 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:

Prediction - in 2016 the race will be between a semi-moderate republican who is fully owned by the corporate interests and pays lip-service to the lessons of 2012 without actually changing any of the insane policies behind them, and a right-wing psycho like Rick Santorum who is also fully owned by corporate interests and who will be as big a dickhead as any of the 9 lumps of shit who opposed Romney.

My money is on the dickhead.
(December 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm)TaraJo Wrote: That being the case, if they refuse to become more moderate they're going to become too extreme for mainstream America, they're going to be replaced with 'something.'

I'm not convinced that "mainstream America" means much of anything. What "mainstream" looks like is going to be fundamentally different if you're in Seattle vs. Topeka. However, I get what you mean - as far as what's going to replace it, I have no idea, but I do suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

(December 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: My money is on the dickhead.

Yeah, but which one?
(December 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm)Chuck Wrote: The republican party is a party solely for rich white men who either inherited their money or made their money in dodgy ways that did not enrich the society. They would rather the world go down in flames than said rich white man be prevented from contributing even less to the welfare of the society. That is their sole principle and only cause.

Everything else, abortion, defence, christian fundamentalistm, immigration, etc, etc, are just crass ploys to draft idiots of America to unwittingly serve their real cause.

So would it be correct to say that this mob of people which insures that they are elected now dominate the political positions of the party?

Have the insane taken over the asylum?

Because if you drive over the fiscal cliff and the economy goes to shit again, I am pritty sure that some wealthy people will be far less wealthy than they have been before.
(December 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Have the insane taken over the asylum?

Yes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Absurd GOP Foxaèr 2098 129180 April 21, 2024 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A majority Catholic country did this LinuxGal 4 670 September 7, 2023 at 5:46 am
Last Post: no one
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1017 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I dont get why Americans are complaining about Monarchy Woah0 0 499 September 10, 2022 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Woah0
  Yet Another GOP Dumpster Fire Of A Human Being BrianSoddingBoru4 139 10002 July 23, 2022 at 4:20 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  So what is GOP's plan for the new wave of newborns? Fake Messiah 43 2829 June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1462 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1158 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  For Americans Who are willing to act Rhizomorph13 13 910 September 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Sal
  The "Silenced" Majority Haipule 17 1412 January 28, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire