Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:03 am

Poll: Do you believe in watermelon tits?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
72.22%
13 72.22%
No.
27.78%
5 27.78%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burden of Proof
Burden of Proof
Since it seems we have a new member who doesn't understand the concept, I thought I'd explain using an old favorite of mine.

"I have tits that shoot out watermelons." -- AK (Annik)

"I don't believe you." --RS (Random Stranger)

"Well you can't prove me wrong. It's beyond current science to test my watermelon tits. You should just believe me, since it should be obvious I have this ability. Did I mention that I fight crime with them?" -- AK

"No, no, no! You have to prove your powers before I can just accept them." -- RS

"How handy! You see, I have these voices that tell me about my powers and when I should use them. AND I have this issue of the National Enquirer that did an article on me. There's your proof." -- AK

"You're being squirriely; that doesn't satisfy the burden." -- RS

"Well, that's just a diversionary tactic and until you prove me wrong, you're just going to have to assume I'm right." --AK

"Good luck with that, crazy." --RS

What happened here? AK asserted a positive claim when she said her breasts had crime-fighting powers. Along with this claim comes what is called the "Burden of Proof". What this means is that when one claims something to be true/false/whatever, the burden of verifying the claim falls on that person. RS knows about the burden of proof. He starts out from a neutral position of non-belief. He requires some evidence before he just believes in something as strange as voices that bestow mystical watermelon powers. When he asked for such proof (as AK made the claim), she tries to pass the buck. You see, at this point in time, we don't have any way to test AK's breasts for a watermelon launching capability. It seems highly improbably and biologically impossible, but the universe is a big, strange place and we don't have it all figured out. However, it's safe to assume the odds of such a unnatural creature that defies what we know about the body existing are slim. AK says that we should take it on faith that she has these powers, that she has some documentation (that has been found to be irregular and unreliable in the past) that proves it. RS recognizes that this isn't reliable evidence and is no where near solid enough to back such a fantastic claim. He tries to tell AK that that isn't enough proof for him to take her word, especially when it would be so easy for her to demonstrate her powers (she says later on that the voices forbid her from acting without their approval). She claims the burden of proof is just a distraction and doesn't really matter. Realizing this conversation is going no where fast, RS decides to end the dialogue.

Now all of this may seem a little lopsided, so let's tie it back to something we're more familiar with:

"God can save us all, he is the king of the universe." -- AK

"I don't believe that." -- RS

"How can you not? We have air to breathe and water to drink! Modern science can't disprove my god. He speaks to me and tells me He loves me. It's obvious He is Lord!" -- AK

"No, no, no! You have to prove your god before I can just accept it." -- RS

"Well I have this book-- It's very old-- that says the He is Lord. I have the Bible and science can't prove that it isn't true. You should just believe God exists and have some faith. He'll come to you if you just worship him." -- AK

"That book is inconsistent with itself and history. I can't take that as evidence. The burden of proof remains unsatisfied." -- RS

"I'm not responsible for it. I believe in Him because He has shown himself to me. He'll show Himself to you and He can save you from Hell. Just believe." --AK

"Good luck with that, crazy." --RS

As we can see here, AK is now taking the role of a Christian. She believes in her Bible, despite its flaws, and doesn't believe it is on her shoulders to prove it. In this case, assuming God exists is a positive claim. Non-belief is the neutral position. This is why it falls on the theist to prove such a being can exist and then that it is their god on top of it. Whenever discussing your god in debate, you need to be prepared to defend yourself. You're coming in with a positive claim: "-Blank- exists".

I encourage more folks to add onto this. Smile
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: Burden of Proof
Quote:"I have tits that shoot out watermelons."

I believe. I believe. Praise Maidenform....I BeLieve!!!
The thought of watermelons being squeezed out of nipples makes me cringe. This does not make me feel good. Of course I cannot believe it!
"I have a Black and Silver Dragon that sits on my back fence and protects me and my property from harm"

A great story to tell little 5-10 year olds.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I dont believe the whole tits that shoot out watermelons thing you were talking about but i believe in watermelon tits i searched for them on google just after seeing the poll title, and ive found so many websites that have video footage as evidence of them.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I cannot see how life could exist without watermelon tits, therefore, I must believe in them despite lack of evidence.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
At first I thought you said "Tits LIKE watermelons" in which case I must insist you assume the burden of proof and show me...
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(January 3, 2013 at 10:27 am)paulpablo Wrote: I dont believe the whole tits that shoot out watermelons thing you were talking about but i believe in watermelon tits i searched for them on google just after seeing the poll title, and ive found so many websites that have video footage as evidence of them.

I did that once. I lost a whole week.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I voted yes, but not because I believe, but because my tits can fire cantaloupes (though I have to admit, watermelons are so much more cool!!).
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(January 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: I voted yes, but not because I believe, but because my tits can fire cantaloupes (though I have to admit, watermelons are so much more cool!!).

Do you have the voices, too? A BATTLE SISTER! They told me this day would come!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2002 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5223 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  The burden of proof; who is it on? Creed of Heresy 15 5326 March 7, 2012 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  The burden of proof Ace Otana 28 15258 July 24, 2010 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Ace Otana