Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RevOxley inro thread
Brick 
RevOxley inro thread
Hello everyone,

My name is Matt aka RevOxley aka RagingRev aka the Atlanta Atheism Examiner.

I am 23 years old. I work as an IT Analyst. I am married with no children other than two dogs, two cats, a pet rat, and a turtle. I live in a small town called Eastman in the state of Georgia - smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt.

I have been calling myself an atheist for just over a year now, just a couple years ago i was a very devout Christian and a minister as well. My journey away from Christ was a difficult and painful one that took over two years to complete, but I am now happier than I have ever been.

I enjoy conversation and debate with theists and non-theists so long as both sides are willing to listen and learn and know how to keep their temper under control, I have made quite a few friends that are Christians or clergy through discussion and debate and we generally find some sort of common respect for one another.

I consider myself an autodidact, not that formal education isn't important or good, I have never been afforded the luxury of one and don't see that changing in the future (It is rather expensive, and debt isn't the wisest thing to accumulate at this point in time)

I look forward to joining in on the discussions here with everyone!
RE: RevOxley inro thread
Nice intro, welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay.Smile
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
(August 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm)RevOxley Wrote: I am married with two dogs, two cats, a pet rat, and a turtle.

Is that allowed in the state of Georgia? They are more liberal then I thought. Big Grin

Welcome to our forum Matt.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 17, 2009 at 4:43 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:
(August 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm)RevOxley Wrote: I am married with two dogs, two cats, a pet rat, and a turtle.

Is that allowed in the state of Georgia? They are more liberal then I thought. Big Grin

Welcome to our forum Matt.

haha, note to self--- re-read before you submit.
Welcome to the forum,

It is a wacky fun place!

Rhizo
(August 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm)RevOxley Wrote: just a couple years ago i was a very devout Christian and a minister as well.

Would you mind expanding on that, as I've had difficulty convincing people here that I decided not to believe (I mentally declared it, and stopped believing. Obviously I had rationalised it, and this point may have been an 'epiphany' moment(as someoneelse suggested)). One person believes if you believe in something you can't then 'not'. But then I think they don't see God, or the entirety of the universe, as a non 'thing'.

Oh and a warm welcome Big Grin
Hey Rev, I guess we don't need to be introduced Big Grin

Didn't know you had a wife though. Is she an atheist too?
(August 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm)RevOxley Wrote: I enjoy conversation and debate with theists and non-theists so long as both sides are willing to listen and learn and know how to keep their temper under control, I have made quite a few friends that are Christians or clergy through discussion and debate and we generally find some sort of common respect for one another.
Clap

Welcome to the forums Matt.

I would agree with you, people have to have common respect for one another.

Amp
Welcome Rev!

I'm an ordained minister too Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(August 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm)RevOxley Wrote: just a couple years ago i was a very devout Christian and a minister as well.

Would you mind expanding on that, as I've had difficulty convincing people here that I decided not to believe (I mentally declared it, and stopped believing. Obviously I had rationalised it, and this point may have been an 'epiphany' moment(as someoneelse suggested)). One person believes if you believe in something you can't then 'not'. But then I think they don't see God, or the entirety of the universe, as a non 'thing'.

Oh and a warm welcome Big Grin

That's quite a job you have for me...expanding on that one Wink

Rather than attempting to explain something like that fresh, let me just post my Extimony here...It isn't perfect, but this is the best that I could do in the emotional state that I was in. Believe it or not, due to the difficulty of writing this it took over a year to completely get it down...and it is still incomplete, the emotional parts are just beyond my range of communication I think...I just can't put some things and thoughts into words. Critiques are welcome, but just so you know, I already see plenty of flaws in it.

Here it is:

So like I said, I really want to write all this down, its just that my emotions are…crazy right now…it happens to me about every 6 months or so I just have a few days or a few weeks where I feel like I cant function and I don’t enjoy anything…I am sure it will pass but it’s a little disturbing the whole time it goes on.

One thing that is rather overwhelming is that I have been through some pretty radical changes in the last couple of years…putting those changes and the emotions that accompany them is really difficult, because the rate at which my mind is having to process all this is insane…and trying to find the time to put those thoughts down is even more difficult. So , this is one more, likely feeble attempt at an essential extimony, as a remnant of my faith I guess I still have the innate need to share my experience and understanding…and even promote it for others…evangelical atheism-as odd as that sounds…I have been told by other atheists that the desire to deconvert others passes with time, I hope that is true, because I feel so weird undoing a lot of what I have already done…bringing people out of the faith I once had and actively brought others into.. I guess it is like making amends to humanity for the evil I did bringing people into a faith that I now see as a crock and a fallacy. My whole goal in my religious life seems to be centered on helping other people question this faith….because if you are a Christian already no one can tell you nor prove to you that your faith is in vain, you have to come to the realization of your own volition, but I feel that my goal is to just make the questions come up that you must ask in order to relieve yourself of your dependence on deity. Not everyone will or is capable of shedding the skin of religion and renouncing god, which is why so many do not…religion holds people that way, it is powerful in that way because the emotions connected with religion and Christianity in particular are incredibly strong, especially for the devoted follower.

Originally posted HERE (will update link when I get 20 posts)

Does that seem to explain it well enough? if not let me know more specifically what you want me to expand on!