Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A disturbing thought
A disturbing thought
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere (hell I probably came across it on this very site) but I really want to share this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRXn96HrtY
RE: A disturbing thought
He is daaamn sexy when he speaks
You're telling me.

You can't imagine the amount of toilet paper I've gotten through watching his videos.
Interesting thought... I don't find it disturbing though. It's more disturbing when people don't realise their current version of truth will be laughed at in the future.
I don't laugh at people in the 1st century who may have thought the earth was flat. If I lived in that time period then that would probably be a rational outlook. I laugh at the people who still believe that today.

It's also not disturbing in the slightest that we are hopefully going to know a lot more about the universe in a thousand years time.
(January 8, 2013 at 9:29 am)Napoléon Wrote: I laugh at the people who still believe that today.

It's just a ride... it isn't any more or less significant what they believe.

(January 8, 2013 at 9:29 am)Napoléon Wrote: It's also not disturbing in the slightest that we are hopefully going to know a lot more about the universe in a thousand years time.

Unless we explode and give our life back to Mars again...
(January 8, 2013 at 9:44 am)naimless Wrote: It's just a ride... it isn't any more or less significant what they believe.

So why is it disturbing again?
(January 8, 2013 at 9:48 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(January 8, 2013 at 9:44 am)naimless Wrote: It's just a ride... it isn't any more or less significant what they believe.

So why is it disturbing again?

It isn't. It's disturbing when they don't accept that their belief could be wrong, and that goes for any belief.
True that.
Actually I don't find the thrust of the speech disturbing, People are always trying to magnify tiny differences into huge gulfs of separation. But I would add there are quite a few, reasonable speculations that would mean any possible alien intelligence would be broadly of the same cognitive ability as ourselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Deepmind versus Thought Curvature ThoughtCurvature 3 606 September 5, 2017 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Antikythera mechanism possibly older than previously thought? Jackalope 33 3449 November 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Gravity Variations Over Earth Much Bigger Than Previously Thought KichigaiNeko 0 985 September 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The word for moving thought space Gooders1002 11 3636 June 9, 2013 at 7:32 am
Last Post: pocaracas