Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redeeming the American Way
Redeeming the American Way
"Justice will be served and the battle will rage. This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage. You'll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A. 'Cause we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way."

Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue

-Toby Keith

When Superman Returns was released in 2006, countless diehard fans complained about the change from “Truth, Justice and the American way” to “Truth, Justice and all that stuff.” The screenwriters decided to alter the slogan based on their perception of the American way changing from what it once was in 1945. Accordingly, one can assume that these two writers looked at what this phrase means today and then came to the conclusion that if employed it might diminish their international box office results. The rewriting of this popular slogan begs the question, “What did the American way mean in 1945 that it no longer means today, and can it be redeemed?”

When American journalist Tom Brokaw was asked by fellow journalist Tim Russert to share his thoughts during their coverage of the fiftieth anniversary of D-Day he proudly spouted his often-repeated sentiment, “I think this is the greatest generation any society has ever produced”. The generation he was referring to, the “Silent Generation”, is typically known for two things: Bringing America out of The Great Depression and participating in World War II. The focus of most attempting to define this generation is usually drawn towards the sometimes-romanticized tales of bravery taken from the foreign battlefields. If those stories are combined with the frenzied patriotism found back on US soil, any average citizen might find it difficult to question this label of greatness; but was this really the greatest generation that any society has ever produced? Furthermore, was this period the pinnacle of the American way?

If asked, most Americans might offer one of the more popular reasons the United States entered World War II: Concentration camps; social acceptance of the murder of a minority group; disgraceful treatment of women in all walks of life; and imperialistic military campaigns to advance the cause and purpose of a single nation with complete disregard to the international community. Strangely enough that could also be read as a list of crimes that America was committing that very hour.

In 1942 the US Army began rounding up Japanese-Americans and sending them to prison camps where they stayed for three years by order of the President. The same military that had defeated the evil fascists abroad was still shamelessly segregated and would be until July of 1948. That philosophy of segregation based on skin color was so predominant that even the Red Cross was employing a brand of it in their segregated blood banks. Even the much-celebrated President Franklin Roosevelt neglectfully refused to support an anti-lynching bill, as the pressure from Southern Democrats seemed insurmountable. In addition to the fierce racism, rampant sexism was dictating that the wages for women, conducting the same work as a man, should be different (at least until the Equal Pay Act of 1963 was passed). Notwithstanding the fact that America was born out of imperialistic military campaigns to advance the British Empire with complete disregard to the indigenous people of the land, she still shook her judgmental finger at the Axis Nations; moreover, such practices continued even after she won her freedom from the crown. This racist, sexist, hypocritical, and atomic bomb dropping (not to mention drafted) generation isn’t the greatest any society has produced; it is simply the only type of generation the western culture seems capable of producing.

The problem today isn’t necessarily the degradation of the idealistic American way, as history plainly shows there never has been a time when the nation lived up to what that phrase implies. The Superman Returns’ screenwriters could have simply done a little homework and left that phrase alone; the meaning hasn’t actually lost anything it is just different. Instead of focusing on African-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Native Americans and Women-Americans, sights are now pointed on the Middle East and anyone or thing that resembles that culture. Like how the sanctions on Japan probably led to their attack on Pearl Harbor, the sanctions on Iraq quite possibly played a role in the events of 9/11. General Douglas Macarthur, who famously accepted the Japanese surrender on the deck of the USS Missouri, is quoted saying, “Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency.” That same patriotic fervor that was used in FDR’s “Infamy Speech” was used by the Bush administration to incite worldwide hysteria over Iraq. It is apparent that unless concerned citizens take drastic measures it is quite possible that the "American Way" might tragically go without ever meaning a thing.

The first step towards redemption would be education. Understanding how the government has behaved in the past could possibly put a frame of reference on their current and future endeavors. If all a person knows is that Columbus set out for a “New World” in the face of widespread panic over a flat-earth theory then he indubitably emerges the heroic navigator. If they knew of his horrific treatment of the indigenous people he encountered and the true motives behind his conquest of foreign lands then his heroism is quickly put into realistic terms. Painting beautiful pictures of historic events is not only unnecessary but also verging on the criminal. Human history is littered with common and grotesque mistakes, and sadly America is no different. There needs to be an effort beyond the usual spin of twenty-four hour news networks to inform the masses of not only where we are but of how we got here. While educated individuals can make informed decisions that aren’t solely driven by fanatical emotions; educated masses cause revolutions. Truth can clearly become a catalyst for change, which is why it has been twisted and withheld, thus keeping it ineffective. Education starts at the individual level and then spreads to the public. Individuals need to take the responsibility to not only read but to ask hard questions. Raise a hand, raise a flag, or just simply raise the question, “Who benefits from this?” A solid rule of thumb, according to Craig Murray, is that “if the government wants you to know it then it probably isn’t true.”

A change in fundamental ideology could naturally follow an honest education and then lead to the beginning of a movement. There needs to be a public outcry from American citizens that demands she remove herself from the throne of the world and start acting as a responsible member of the international community. This idea of intervening as a proselytizer of democracy was never the intentions of the forefathers. George Washington said, “It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world.” Some will defend such alliances with the claim that they only desire safety from those who envy our freedom and plan us harm. An honorable aim, but reprehensibly ignorant if it leads to a “preventive war” mentality. Starting war to prevent war is not only confusing in theory; it is a terribly difficult sell to the victims. Peace has never been established on the battlefield, whether Germany or Iraq, but in the hearts of citizens growing restless with the status quo. Citizens should arm themselves with the truth (education) and speak out. Whether it’s in a letter, volunteering, or a voting booth their loud cries for an overhaul in policy would drown out attempts to pacify the public with more patriotic nonsense. Tell the government to end the wars; bring the troops home; close the bases that although they are strategic, are an abomination to her neighbors; and spend money on their own people rather than sustaining entangling alliances.

Regardless of how daunting a change of this magnitude is, there is hope. Hope not from the idealist campaign drive or the mediocre post on a forum, but from her people. Although she is responsible for an encyclopedia’s worth of atrocities, America has given the world Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson. The reason for hope goes even beyond Mark Twain and Helen Keller, for her critics alone testify to the potential for greatness. No sane individual criticizes a child for being incapable of adult activities anymore than they criticize a mentally handicapped adult for only acting like a child. It is when the capability and potential are there but not met that criticism is warranted. Clearly, given the amount of credible critics today, there is hope for her to be great.

The American way can be redeemed and Superman can once again fight the likes of Lex Luthor in defense of it. Only, the American people (especially Toby Keith) need to let go of their irrational interpretation of it and embrace what it might really mean. As George W. Bush said in his farewell speech (kind of, the italics aren’t his), “We have faced danger and trial, and there is more ahead. But even with the courage of our people and confidence in our ideals, this great nation” might tire … might falter … and might fail.

But if she can pick herself up then she can stand for truth, justice and all that stuff.
RE: Redeeming the American Way
We could do with a rousing version of the national anthem playing whilst reading that. This is reason for America to be regarded as the most shit country in the world.
fr0d0,

You might have missed the point, or at least it seems that way. I do not subscribe to the imperialistic mindset that is evident in America (and most other Western nations). I abhore American politics and this was just a chance to address that in a semi-subtle and sarcastic way.
(August 18, 2009 at 6:46 pm)jonathanwithaj Wrote: fr0d0,

You might have missed the point, or at least it seems that way. I do not subscribe to the imperialistic mindset that is evident in America (and most other Western nations). I abhore American politics and this was just a chance to address that in a semi-subtle and sarcastic way.

J. I'm glad for your response in clarification. I was struggling a bit to understand where you are coming from. Can I just ask you why you chose to use a Dubya quote last?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
bozo,

I used that quote because I found it disgusting and hilarious that one of the most delusional and wicked men America has produced actually thinks he was a great leader of a great nation. It was his final speech and I enjoyed twisting his words, adding my own, and making it mean exactly the opposite of what he meant.
Dubya did not invent either American imperialism nor American jingoism. Both of those things have existed almost from independence. His incompetence and stupidity merely made them more obvious. EG :Iraq is essentially and imperialist war,aimed at establishing a permanent US presence in the Middle East;The US will NEVER completely withdraw.

It's telling that the incumbent centrist popularist president does not so far look like even seriously considering changing either US foreign policy or the broader status quo in any meaningful way. EG I predict that at the end of his presidency the US will STILL not have a decent health system, a just welfare system,and will still decline to treat its veterans honourably.

Just imagine for a second; IF the US did not invade Iraq,and instead spent that money on say a universal health system and education.
Um, Padraic...I suspect we both know that if we did not invade Iraq that the Republicans would have merely given more tax cuts to their rich patrons. They could give a shit care less about health or education.
That was well written Jonathon, thank you. I completely understood where you were coming from. It is long overdue, the time that Americans have to redefine what it means to be American. Padraic is right though, the jingoism goes way back doesn't it? I did some reading about history, trying to find when America started it's thing about "losing the wars it wins". I think it was 1812. The revolution may have been a just fight. But just 40 years later, they tried to take over Canada. Why, because "God obviously intended those that hold the south of great Niagara to hold all of it". The beginning of the end for America was right after the beginning. It is a country with positives though, they took a horrible situation and made rock and roll.

I just wanted to add a couple, and say I enjoyed your post. I am an American Ex-Pat living outside the beast. I still consider myself American, if only that I can redefine that word. Thanks again.

-Pip
(August 19, 2009 at 12:32 am)Minimalist Wrote: Um, Padraic...I suspect we both know that if we did not invade Iraq that the Republicans would have merely given more tax cuts to their rich patrons. They could give a shit care less about health or education.

Of course. It was a romantic hypothetical ,about as realistic as John Lennnon's facile paean "Imagine"
Just a side note, the US did not enter WW2 because of concentration camps. They were aware such places existed, but the Nazi's only show Theresienstadt as an example model camp, putting both the Red Cross and the leaders of various nations mind at ease.

Only after the real horrible examples of concentration camps were found the true extent of the horror became known, and that wasn't until the last year of the war.

The US needed a valid excuse to enter the war, and Japan who was an ally with Germany gave the excuse they needed. Before that the US was as keen on staying neutral as our country was (and as naive).

The round up and putting in camps of Japanese Americans made sense in military terms, but on the human rights level it was absolutely deplorable. But it had nothing to do with concentration camps in Europe or the pacific.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 873 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1471 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1736 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1587 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 841 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Foxaèr 45 4183 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6960 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1370 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2184 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 6088 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0