Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this odd?
Is this odd?
I remembered this time I was at a Christian apologetics summer camp when I was a teen. Had lots of speakers everyday brainwashing us. There was this one speaker (he's sort of famous) who after a day of lectures brought a few of us out and showed us his huge suped up SUV. It looked like something you'd see a black rapper driving or something. He opened up the trunk and showed us the speakers inside. So there I was and I was thinking this was cool and I'd like to remember it so I pull out my camera and took a picture. The speaker and my camp counselor saw that and got fairly upset and made me delete the photo. wtf? Is that an odd thing to get upset over?

edit: to clarify, the speakers in the SUV are audio speakers, not people who speak.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Is this odd?
(January 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I remembered this time I was at a Christian apologetics summer camp when I was a teen. Had lots of speakers everyday brainwashing us. There was this one speaker (he's sort of famous) who after a day of lectures brought a few of us out and showed us his huge suped up SUV. It looked like something you'd see a black rapper driving or something. He opened up the trunk and showed us the speakers inside. So there I was and I was thinking this was cool and I'd like to remember it so I pull out my camera and took a picture. The speaker and my camp counselor saw that and got fairly upset and made me delete the photo. wtf? Is that an odd thing to get upset over?

Rap music began as a form of street music. It came out of urban culture. But like most socializing, be it food, or politics or religion, or even beating another inventor to the patent office, we as a species mix all the time.

So when you say "black rapper" don't forget the Beasty Boys were rappers and Eminem is also a rapper. And even today Hip Hop seems to be out pacing in appeal to all current youth just like Rock and Roll back in the 50s replaced big band and crooners.

Just saying.

Other than that, yea, seems a bit odd to get upset over a picture of a vehicle's content, especially when you go out of your way to use it as an argument for your invisible friend "Look how successful I am, this is what belief in god can do for you".
Ok. I know next to nothing about rap.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I was at a Christian apologetics summer camp when I was a teen.

I'm staggered that such a thing even exists!

(January 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: So there I was and I was thinking this was cool and I'd like to remember it so I pull out my camera and took a picture. The speaker and my camp counselor saw that and got fairly upset and made me delete the photo. wtf? Is that an odd thing to get upset over?

Well, these religious types are really superstitious about photos, especially of things they worship.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
My guess is because christians preach about being unmaterialistic and not greedy so they didnt want people going around with pictures of their huge fancy cars because of the contradition it would bring to what they had just been preaching.
Its sort of the same thing as what my friend told me put him off the idea of donating to certain charities, he saw the organiser of this certain charity pull up in a ridiculously expensive car.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(January 11, 2013 at 5:31 pm)Darwinian Wrote:
(January 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I was at a Christian apologetics summer camp when I was a teen.

I'm staggered that such a thing even exists!

There are lots of them. I went to three growing up. They're fun for at least meeting people and playing outdoors during breaks.

One of them I went to had us tour Washington D.C. But it did feel kinda of wacky visiting the Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute where we heard republicans speak on the "hoax" of global warming on the same day as visiting the Lincoln Memorial, Congress etc.
My ignore list

Maybe he thought you were trying to steal his soul or something. After all, one superstition's as good as another.

(January 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm)paulpablo Wrote: My guess is because christians preach about being unmaterialistic and not greedy so they didnt want people going around with pictures of their huge fancy cars because of the contradition it would bring to what they had just been preaching.
Its sort of the same thing as what my friend told me put him off the idea of donating to certain charities, he saw the organiser of this certain charity pull up in a ridiculously expensive car.

Yes. This strikes a chord with me, or my Dad anyway. He sometimes tells me of the incident in his early childhood that first showed him the true face of this stuff. Remember that at that time in England, round about the late forties/early fifties, religious sentiment was still quite strong, being an evolutionary leftover from the previous century for the most part. Well, he was at his school as usual one day when the teacher addressed the class, telling them to ask their parents for money to donate to a good cause. The good cause in this case was to send the local vicar or whatever away on holiday.

As he went home later that day, he suddenly thought about what the teacher had said and started to question why his parents should have to fund this bloke's social life when they themselves had never even been holiday in their lives. From that moment on, my Dad started on the road to full atheism; a road I'm proud to walk as his son.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:My guess is because christians preach about being unmaterialistic and not greedy so they didnt want people going around with pictures of their huge fancy cars because of the contradition it would bring to what they had just been preaching.

But of course no one believes a word they say.

[Image: italy-vatican-museum1.jpg]
I'm guessing that, in the unlikely event of anyone questioning their obscene wealth, they'd probably use the Hovind Defense (because it worked so well for him, didn't it) - "We are men and/or women of God, therefore everything we own belongs to Him."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd family sayings zebo-the-fat 12 838 August 10, 2023 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I hate odd numbers Ben Davis 40 3607 July 4, 2016 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does this Sound Odd to You? Rhondazvous 3 610 January 1, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior Jenny A 8 1995 December 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: abaris
  An odd question that came to my mind. Edwardo Piet 40 9513 September 3, 2010 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: blasblas