Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello there
Hello there
I'm a Software Engineer from England, but for various reasons I now live in North Carolina, USA.

I had no idea before I got here what living in the "bible belt" would be like. We lived here for 5 years and it never really bothered me, until we had children. They're now 3 years old and at a stage in life where they soak up everything, their vulnerability to suggestion from any angle is something I have to deal with now. So I start to notice things a whole lot more, stuff I never really considered until now.

I find myself listening intently to how people speak to my kids, many people here treat their faith as fact, they talk as if god is absolute and praying is normal. It's all a bit strange to me, and I'm seriously contemplating moving to a less religious state. But at the same time I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, so if anyone has experience in this, I would be very interested.

Personally, I just want to live like it's the only life I'll ever know, learn about the universe through science and technology, and most importantly, allow my children to think for themselves, not be ashamed for being human, and live their lives to the fullest before their unfortunate but inevitable death.

I hope I can find like minded people here.
RE: Hello there
Welcome :-)
Welcome to the forums. Have a great time.

(first person to greet you on an Atheist forum is a Muslim....ironic)
I march against the Asagods
To bring the end of time.
I am pure and endless pain
And Surtr is my name.

See me rise, the mighty Surt,
Destroyer of the universe.
Bringer of flames and endless hurt
Scorcher of men and Earth.
They do think oddly in the bible belt.....

Welcome.
I can only imagine what its like, as an englishman, I have been enlightened by what living in an overtly christard place could be like only after joining this forum. I thought all those stories about that area of America were just an exaggerated joke.
There are some very good people on this forum that are surviving in conditions like yours, so I am sure you will find help here.
Re: Hello there
Thanks for the welcome.
Welcome! Without wishing to seem patronising, I echo jon's comments. We're somewhat sheltered over here from the Bible Belt mindset, though we do get our share of the crazies from time to time. It's sometimes hard to remember that not everyone is as lucky in that respect. We make up for it in other ways, though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Thanks again for the welcome, it would be nice to know if there are any atheist members here in NC, it's hard to find rational free thinking people in the mountains.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello there! ShinyCrystals 15 1155 September 1, 2023 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: galaxycliffnix
  Hello there! R-Farmer 32 2375 June 10, 2023 at 8:41 am
Last Post: R-Farmer
Big Grin Hello there! vytautas 14 1008 August 22, 2020 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5011 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello there EarnieBanks 5 833 May 18, 2019 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello there! Aliza 51 12037 July 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Hello there! YouOnlyLiveTwice 12 2239 July 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello there Mr.Obvious 32 6618 May 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello there, I am new here. SuperSentient 18 3691 March 4, 2017 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hello There! Just One More Irreligious Brat who Fell Out of Their Religion MrNoTheism 11 1629 October 31, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas