Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony Or What?
Irony Or What?
A guy called Harry over at CFI forums posted this:

Put Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence into Google (or just click the link) and see what the very first site that comes up is!

Irony?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Irony Or What?
Carm.org here. Am I missing something?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 21, 2009 at 4:16 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Carm.org here. Am I missing something?

You're spoiling my thread Leo ... CARM is a "Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry "

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

I know,it's Matt Slick's home base. But why would that be ironic? Carm is pretty much dedicated to present that evidence so it stands to reason it ends high in the Google index for it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 21, 2009 at 5:42 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I know,it's Matt Slick's home base. But why would that be ironic? Carm is pretty much dedicated to present that evidence so it stands to reason it ends high in the Google index for it.

I'd say because no theist anywhere has ever presented validatable evidence for their god (to my knowledge) and they always seem to try and slide out of the extraordinary evidence thing.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

(August 21, 2009 at 3:34 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: A guy called Harry over at CFI forums posted this:

Put Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence into Google (or just click the link) and see what the very first site that comes up is!

Irony?

Kyu

If what you say is:

a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning

or

the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning

or

incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result

No, I don't believe this is an irony. What the first web site is stating for Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Meaning you would need evidence to prove something existed.

Amp
All that article is, is a wonderful exercise in special pleading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Look guys ... one of the first things you get when you mention "extraordinary claims" to our theist friends is special pleading and, as Eilonnwy notes, the article (the first one found when one types "extraordinary evidence" into Google) is an exercise is special pleading (indeed, as apologetics, that is a speciality of CARM).

To my mind that is ironic (unless I have seriously misunderstood one fairly common usage of the word)!

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Parents Don't See The Irony LivingNumbers6.626 8 2767 July 31, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  The irony of allergies for an atheist: Chris.Roth 31 9641 May 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  ...(Atheistic irony) cGodfrey 30 9394 May 2, 2011 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The ultimate irony Demonaura 10 4625 March 10, 2009 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: athoughtfulman