Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:00 am

Poll: Concerning the seperation of religion and state
This poll is closed.
All references to religion should be removed from all goverment institutions and things representative of the nation
50.00%
4 50.00%
There is room for religious content from tradition or history in formal matters which do not infringe the rights of non religious and those of other faith
37.50%
3 37.50%
Religion and state shouldnt be seperated
12.50%
1 12.50%
I don care (which as an option is useless, since if you dont care, why should I give you the option to state that you dont care)
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is secularism for you?
What is secularism for you?
Has anyone here ever opened a Danish passport?

Well if you do you will find this on the first page:

It is a depiction of Haralds runestone:

The stone was created in Denmark under the rule od King Harald Bluetooth.
Harald was the last viking king, who had enhareted an enormous scandinavian empire, streching from Poland to Norway to France.
But his kingdom was pagan, so every other christian European monarch could legitematly invade and destroy his kingdom on the basis that it wasn`t christian.
So King Harald converted to christianity, thereby ending the Viking era and making Denmark a legitemate sovereign nation in Europe.
The jelling stones celebrate this and are depicted on the first page of a Danish passport.

Ever heared the long version of the Dutch national anthem?

Now I am not sure how many parts of this old anthem are used today, but it does speak volumes about the netherlands calvenist past.

And the British national anthem also is God save the queen.

technicaly speaking, the UK is still a theocracy.
Why?
Because the monarch is officialy anointed by god.

There are various examples of religious text or tradition having influence in European goverment process as a formal matter.

So I guess what I would like to ask is, what seperation of religion and state exactly means for you?
Do you need every sign of religion to disapear even out of formal processes. Or is the fact that the goverment doesnt establish religious institutions, doesn`t discriminate certain faiths or non faiths and treats all the same enought for you?

Or are you someone who believes religion and state shouldnt be seperated at all?
RE: What is secularism for you?
(January 18, 2013 at 2:52 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Ever heared the long version of the Dutch national anthem?

Now I am not sure how many parts of this old anthem are used today, but it does speak volumes about the netherlands calvenist past.

Only the first part before sport games; most dutch people, including me, don't have a clue about the rest of the national anthem. National anthems are for sentimental wankers anyway.

In general, I think any state reference to God must be taken away...but I don't think we need to re-write history by deleting all references to a god.

Secularism = Gott mitt uns

I'm in favor of complete separation of church and state, including removal of all religious reference, with very limited exception for clearly historical traditions.

That being said, I recognize that the reality is that we will never have total separation, and simply hope for the more oppressive examples being removed.

I also believe that change which happens too quickly can be as harmful as tarrying in addressing inequities, and argue for a middle course.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Government has no business promoting fairy tales in any capacity. Period.
Governments, and systems of control don't matter that much, the culture is what is important, it is very hard to impose a tyranny and sustain it on a liberal culture, and it is also difficult to impose a liberal governance on a culture which is not accepting of difference.
[Image: signiture_zps1665b542.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secularism.. lifesagift 12 2259 January 18, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  Battle around secularism in the Arab world? Something completely different 13 4015 August 19, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What really really constitutes secularism. kılıç_mehmet 11 5322 May 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nationalism and secularism kılıç_mehmet 58 14552 April 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Secularism petition (for UK members) groovydude89 7 2636 September 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Secularity and Secularism explained. Paul the Human 3 1629 April 21, 2010 at 5:16 am
Last Post: fr0d0