Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-converting the fence-sitters
De-converting the fence-sitters
This is a pet-peeve for me, especially as I happen to live in a place with a much higher rate of moderates to bible-thumpers than, say, in the U.S. -- I live in an urban centre of Germany.

How do you de-convert a moderate?

My mother and most of my theist friends happen to be religious moderates (mostly Catholics or Lutherans, at least one distant Muslim), so I had several opportunities to try, but even though they seem to be the group of religious people that can be reasoned with the easiest (if you ever tried using logic with bible-thumpers and other neo-Evangelicals you know what I mean), they seem to be incapable of taking the final step.

Most of these moderates don't believe that their holy book is the word of God, however they believe it was written by people who were directly influenced by their deity of choice (this makes them resistant against any arguments about contradictory passages).
To them the scriptures are more like a religious Rorschach test: you can find Truth, but more by reflection than mere absorption (this makes them resistant against ANY arguments about scripture).
They don't even necessarily believe there is ONE true faith, instead they often think of religion as a kaleidoscope: the different religions are just different understandings of the same thing, the abundance of religions is an argument FOR theism for them, not against it (this makes them resistant against any arguments about true faiths).
What's more, they often don't even TRY to use rational arguments or see any reason to justify their beliefs, so they often argue emotionally: it'd be a sad world if there was no-one watching out for us / I felt His presence when I went through a difficult time / etc (this SHOULD make them vulnerable against plausibility arguments, except it doesn't because they don't claim to be rational in the first place).

So in the end, this is really a problem with sentimental believers, rather than the deluded lunatic fringe. I fear that as long as we, as anti-theists, have no means to de-convert the fence-sitters (the moderates whose "harmless" religiosity distracts from the extremists) and thus the silent support for religiosity that "justifies" acceptance of religious practices and opinions, we cannot win the fight against religious extremists.

The moderates know that Islamists running around with explosive belts, "Mortification of the Flesh" Catholics mutilating their own bodies and bible-thumping televangelists who call down hellfire at homosexuals and Harry Potter are nutcases, but they are ignorant to the underlying problem of Theism and its dangerous influence on political, economical, scientific and social decisions.

This is the group Dawkins & co tend to forget about or ignore. But I think this is also the group that needs to be addressed most urgently to pave the way to a more wide-spread skepsis towards religion and awareness of the threat that is religious fundamentalism.
RE: De-converting the fence-sitters
I agree that religious moderates are the people who need to change. Once that happens then extremists are even more of a fringe.

However Dawkins does dedicate a solid chunk of Chapter 8 in TGD to this concept of "religious moderates" and "perverted faith".

I'm seen a Catholic friend admit he's an atheist because he knows the Bible is false. He's Catholic, but he knows resurrection isn't possible. He knows the miracles described in the bible aren't possible. I'm confident this kind of thinking describes the majority of church-goers.

Then again, religions never fail to amaze me.
It's a big, big step to let go of the concept of god.

Even when you realise that all that Noah's Ark, Easter Story, 3 Wise Men, Away in a manger stuff is bullshit, it's normal to hang on to the concept of some kind of god to explain all the really big stuff, like Why Are We Here? and What's It All ABout? and How Can People Like Rap Music?

Taking that final step and letting go of god means acknowledging that we are all alone in a cold and uncaring universe.

It requires a rethink of some major issues. Once you realise that your life has no Ultimate Purpose you have to figure out what purpose your life does have, what purpose you are going to give it.

It really is a big deal.

Once it's done of coures it's a snap.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
Well it's certainly true that moderates have more resistent arguments....

But I don't think they're more resistent becasue extremists don't even NEED arguments...they can just play the 'faith card' and say they have faith...extremists are very very very hard to reason with simply because extremists don't wanna reason back they just wanna try and brain wash you with 'faith'. They just play the 'faith card'. And faith is a very dangerous thing.

It is important for moderates to let go of their beliefs though because as Dawkins says in TGD...moderates often provide a platform that the extremists can build upon. You can't just treat the symptons...you have to treat the cause.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting Atheists with Guilt Knight000 19 5167 September 10, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Converting to Atheism? BrimmingIntellectual 263 40375 June 9, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Couple of clingers in my de-converting Won2blv 40 7821 May 8, 2015 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Aractus
  So I asked some christians if they would give it their best shot at converting me Lemonvariable72 33 10433 September 6, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  So on the fence. bladevalant546 11 2482 June 12, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  I'm de-converting Adjusted Sanity 2 1334 April 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Adjusted Sanity
  Reason for converting Good Christians Ephrium 76 25881 January 21, 2009 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Tiberius