Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Donation Groups
New Donation Groups
Based on suggestions in this thread, the staff have created a new system for handling donations which rewards donators more, whilst creating an incentive to donate more.

The problem with the previous donation system was that any amount could get you a place in the "Donators" group forever. Whilst some people donated more than once, it wasn't a regular occurrence, so we would have donators who had donated a couple of dollars several years ago in the group, amongst members who had donated $30 every year or so (and sometimes more).

When changing the system, we obviously didn't want to leave out people who honestly cannot afford to donate more than a few dollars, as this would be unfair. Having said that, this is how the new donation system works:

Donation Groups

There are now three donation groups rather than one. These groups are "Gold Donator", "Silver Donator", and "Bronze Donator". All groups have the same color username, but different colored badges:

[Image: gold.png] [Image: silver.png] [Image: bronze.png]

The badges will appear next to your username in a post.

To get into the Bronze group, you need to donate between $1 and $14. To get into the Silver group, you need to donate between $15 and $29. Finally, to get into the Gold group, you need to donate $30 or more.

Time Limits

Unlike the previous system, once you donate to get into a group, you are not in there forever. Your group is determined by the amount of money you have donated that year, as well as any rollover from previous years.

For example:

If a member donates $5, they are put into the Bronze group for one year. After the year has passed, they are removed from the group and become a regular member again.

If, however, they donate $10 during the same year, they are boosted into the Silver group for the remaining amount of time. So in effect, your position in a group depends on how much you have donated in that year cycle (starting from the point of your first donation).

However, if you donate more than the $30 minimum to gain access to the Gold group, the extra donation will carry on into another year's count. So, if a member donates $45, they will be in the Gold group for a year, and then the Silver group for a year (since they donated $15 extra). This is assuming they don't donate more during the course of those two years.

Large Donations

We are still mulling over the idea of having another "special" donators group for people who donate a one-off large amount of money, or for those who over the course of several donations, end up donating a large amount in total. It must be stressed that we have not come to a decision on whether to do this yet, or what amount would grant access to this group.

Current Group Members

I have (as of the writing of this announcement) removed everyone from the Donator's group who has not donated within the last year. If you have donated in the last year, you will have been moved to the appropriate new group.

As a bonus, members of these groups are now displayed as part of the forum team: http://atheistforums.org/showteam.php

They will be contacted via PM when their donations are about to expire, or they are due to change groups.

Donating

If you want to donate to gain access to a group, please read here: http://atheistforums.org/donate.php

If you have access to a PayPal account, it is actually more beneficial to send the money directly to me via PayPal than use the donation system, as PayPal takes a percentage of the amount for the service.

- Tiberius

P.S. We are open to discussions about the colors of usernames, etc. If people can come to a majority consensus on another color, and it doesn't clash with any other groups, we will change it.
RE: New Donation Groups
Why not force people to pay like o a sex exchange site?
(January 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Why not force people to pay like o a sex exchange site?

Because then 3/4ths of us would up and leave all haughty like.

Understanding one's audience for marketing: you gotta.

Tiberius Wrote:We are still mulling over the idea of having another "special" donators group for people who donate a one-off large amount of money, or for those who over the course of several donations, end up donating a large amount in total. It must be stressed that we have not come to a decision on whether to do this yet, or what amount would grant access to this group.

Can it involve pretty colors? Smile

I'll donate more regularly (a smaller amount mind) after a while of having a job. Gotta get one first though. Thinking
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I have (as of the writing of this announcement) removed everyone from the Donator's group who has not donated within the last year. If you have donated in the last year, you will have been moved to the appropriate new group.

I donated in the past year Tongue

I'll prob donate again some when next month when I get the chance to do a little work again. Smile
(January 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I donated in the past year Tongue

I'll prob donate again some when next month when I get the chance to do a little work again. Smile
Can you PM me the amount, when it was sent, and the email account it came from? I'll look into it. It is possible that I didn't track all donations going back a year. Smile
(January 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Can you PM me the amount, when it was sent, and the email account it came from? I'll look into it. It is possible that I didn't track all donations going back a year. Smile

Done, not sure when it was exactly tho.

[Image: T2-DONATOR-W.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Haha, this is a very smart move, Tibbers. I like it.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
<3 Purple's gunna take some getting used to Smile
Quote:Finally, to get into the Gold group, you need to donate $30 or more.

How much is that in the funny money you guys use on your side of the pond?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donation Changes Tiberius 84 9403 May 8, 2015 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Donation Statistics Tiberius 17 5687 May 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 6533 March 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 4713 January 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Donation Drive 2011!!! Tiberius 20 14456 April 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah