Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodgy morality in the New Testament
Dodgy morality in the New Testament
EvidenceVsFaith said in the thread about History & the OT
Quote:I think what would be interesting is finding and revealing some of the immoral stuff in the NT. I see less of this...but it isn't perfectly moral (especially the cruxificion). I'd like to see more criticism of the NT's morality.

It is a neglected subject because we've been told over and over what a wonderful guy Jesus was and how the New testament contrasts with the Old. So we naturally assume all is sweetness and light in the NT.

Ithought it was sufficiently off-topic from the original History thread to warrant it's own thread.

Here are some of the examples I could think of dodgy morality shown in the New Testament.

Quote:Jesus compared non-Jews to dogs and said he had only come to save Jews (Matthew 15, Mark 7) - clear example of racism

Jesus cursed the figtree when it was out of season (Mark 11:12) clear example of being a bad-tempered grumpy bastard

Jesus says you have to love him more than your family (Matthew 10:37) clear example of asking way too much of people

Jesus exorts people to cut off their limbs rather than let their limbs cause them to sin and thus damnation. (matthew 18:8) Well, it isn't our hands or feet that cause us to sin. clear example of crap hyperbole except that there are examples of deranged people doing just this.

Jesus holds up the entire OT and all it says, including the killing of babies and anything else that is crap in the OT
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Matthew 5:17)

Jesus sends evil spirits out of a man and into a herd of pigs. the pigs rush off a cliff into the sea and die. Tough shit for the owner of the pigs (Matthew 8:30-33)

Jesus tells a disciple in a most uncompassionate manner that he can't bury his parents (Matthew 8:21-22)

Jesus says he has come to cause destruction and strife, not peace, and to divide families (Matthew 10:34-36)

If anyone would like to add other examples, or even try and explain how I've misinterpreted the examples I've quoted.

Paul's letters are a treasure trove of nastiness.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
RE: Dodgy morality in the New Testament
Recently I heard Sam Harris say that Jesus was very in favour of slavery which we now know of course is wrong....

Because of course just like you quoted stewart.... he's come not to 'abolish the law or the prophets' but to fulfill them....

If you think about it that is perhaps the worst of all of the quotes you gave because it basically shows that Jesus wants to fulfill all the horrible stuff in the OT... does it not?

But equally the worst is the last one you gave: He's after war not peace! wtf!

It Sounds to me like Ghandi was actually a huge improvement on Jesus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 31526 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3351 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 30355 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4471 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 16740 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7252 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Kinder God of the New Testament Nope 64 10998 August 3, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3605 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4873 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Supposed Theist Morality Striper 26 7262 November 5, 2014 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Ben Davis