Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Video on Apologetics
New Video on Apologetics
I just made another video and posted it. Feedback welcome.

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: New Video on Apologetics
Presuposition - "you have already as the appologist, failed, before you have even finished your argument..."

LOL, awesome example man, you failed immediately after you started...
(February 3, 2013 at 8:02 am)catfish Wrote: Presuposition - "you have already as the appologist, failed, before you have even finished your argument..."

LOL, awesome example man, you failed immediately after you started...

In what way? If the best they can do to offer "evidence" is conjecture, mental constructs, hypothetically this or that, etc. they've failed to meet the burden of proof established by the extraordinary nature of their claims. Philosophy without evidence or demonstration, even if the philosophy is sound, is insufficient to meet the proportional burden of proof for such extraordinary claims.

This is not a presupposition. This is how the burden of proof, with the burden scaling according to the extraordinary degree of the claim, works.

I'd wager it's the same critical thinking you apply to every area of your life outside of your religious beliefs (but with you maybe I shouldn't be so certain).
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
OK, think about what you said there. "If" is a mighty big word when you make a claim about absolutes. So you recognise that there is a possibility that something may be presented that you haven't covered.

The presupposition is that your opponent has lost before they even started (or finished I think you claimed) yet you do not know what "evidence" will be presented. Remember, you used "if"...

As for "appologetics", I don't get it. I don't make appologies for my faith, Imma dick that way. Look at my sig, you have no clue where I'm coming from.
Just been watching this over on YouTube. Rated and favourited.

@Catfish: apologetics doesn't mean what you think it means. No wonder you don't get it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 3, 2013 at 6:22 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Just been watching this over on YouTube. Rated and favourited.

@Catfish: apologetics doesn't mean what you think it means. No wonder you don't get it.

I get it alright, apparently you don't.
I'm not defending, not supporting "my faith"... (unless you mean something other than x-tian appologetics?)

How many times have I claimed to be a cherrypicker? Don't I always push the idea that every person has their own conscience? You pick something to support that I think is sick, I'm gonna argue. And you think I'm defending that crap?

But anyways, wouldn't you agree that claiming victory before evidence is presented is a logical fallacy in all circumstances?

And I AM a Christian fully supported by the Bible.

Link?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
So - you took apologetics to mean apologising for your purported faith, I pointed out that this is inaccurate, yet you're the one that gets it and I don't? I see. And if the rest of your diatribe is directed at me, at least pay me the courtesy of filling me in as to what I wrote that prompted it. I've read my words probably a dozen times now and I still can't see anything even similar to what you appear to have read there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 3, 2013 at 2:45 pm)catfish Wrote: The presupposition is that your opponent has lost before they even started (or finished I think you claimed) yet you do not know what "evidence" will be presented. Remember, you used "if"...

You don't think that if Christians had a verifiable form of any of the proofs listed in the video that would work, it would be trumpeted by every religious media outlet, especially in predominantly Christian America? You don't think real, tangible proof for god would be kind of a big deal and that if it were present, we wouldn't have heard about it long before any theological debate as to its authenticity? Thinking

Quote:As for "appologetics", I don't get it. I don't make appologies for my faith, Imma dick that way. Look at my sig, you have no clue where I'm coming from.

Well, okay, fine. Most of us here have heard all there is to hear from this particular subgenre of christian debate tactics, though. We can reasonably fathom where the argument is going before it's made; it's not like they're coming up with anything new and better, after all.

Same old schtick requires the same old response, why not cut out the middle man?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No, I'm telling you that you have your own conscience, I don't care what you believe, it doesn't fucking matter as long as you follow your conscience... If you need the Bible thrown into the arguement for you to believe that, sure, I'll get into appologetics but only if we define that first. Undecided

Not my faith, yours... I have no need nor intention to defend mine, sorry for the confussion?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If "god" wants to talk to me... [new video] robvalue 55 8151 February 23, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Drich
Video New video: space, time and anger robvalue 15 3008 March 6, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Pre-Suppositional Christian Apologetics SpecUVdust 11 2584 November 14, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: SpecUVdust
  Apologetics open challenge robvalue 172 39769 October 3, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Mystic
  apologetics website Nightfoot92 17 5221 November 23, 2013 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Zeus apologetics Lemonvariable72 33 5725 November 5, 2013 at 4:19 am
Last Post: genkaus
Shocked Mormon Apologetics Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 3597 September 23, 2012 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Heaven and Earth (video) bjhulk 9 4491 February 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The inherent sleaze of apologetics DeistPaladin 11 4799 January 20, 2011 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris