Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, how often do you think about God's existence/non-existence?
Atheists, how often do you think about God's existence/non-existence?
Pretty much what the title says.

I ask this because I know that there are many theists who tend to think about God a lot - i.e. God is constantly in their minds - even while doing activities like eating, working, listening to music, walking, sitting, while learning something, before going to sleep, or whatever that they are doing. I am like that myself as well. Most of the time you can't tell if they are actually thinking about God because they look so busy doing something else, but they are. Sometimes they might even be praising or thanking God while remembering Him, but it's not noticeable to any one else around them because, basically, this is something passive and internal.

What about you guys, then? I know that as atheists none of you believe in God, but how often or when do you think about His non-existence?
RE: Atheists, how often do you think about God's existence/non-existence?
Everytime I masturbate,............................. because then I feel sooooooooooooooooo guilty.

Tongue
Never when I'm not in here. Though I tend to be here quite a bit.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Starting when I was 18, I'd go through periods of weeks without thinking about it. Randomly I come to the realization that people believe in God. Even after days of viewing this forum, just doesn't always strike me.

So I never think of nonexisting God... mostly just the fact that God is an idea people subscribe to.
I don't necessarily think about your god too much but I do think about the damage done by religion quite a bit. In fact, lately, it has been sort of a mental obsession.

Those who believe do so with such blind devotion that no amount of talking, evidence or logical argument gets them to open their fucking eyes. They get angry when we tell them god doesn't exist yet they have no problem at all shoving their religion down our throats at every conceivable opportunity.

For instance, I went to a function a week or so ago. It was an awards banquet for our local chamber of commerce. After a brief announcement to start things off, they launched into a prayer.

While this seems rather benign, it is really just a symptom of the wider issue of religion in public forums. Our elected officials MUST profess belief in god or they have no chance of getting elected. It follows that many will rely on those religious beliefs when drafting or voting on public policy. Therefore, our public policy is being greatly influenced by religion. Our constitution specifically forbids religion within government.

All these right wing nutjobs bitch about the constitution being attacked and right being eroded, but they are the first ones to support public policy based on religion.

Fucktards.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
How often do you think about the the non-existence of Zeus and Thor?
As infrequently as I can muster.
How often do we think about it? God claims are around us 24 7. On our TVs on car bumper stickers, on billboards and Marquess on church lawns. Not to mention the internet. At work many have co workers who talk about god or customers. I wish I could go one day without thinking about it or hearing about it, but I cant move to a deserted Island.
Pretty much only when some theist shows up here whining about his/her invisible friend in the sky.

Otherwise, it is a pretty pointless subject.
Never. None of the god claims are true and so I don't think about them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5273 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10124 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5040 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3000 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2983 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1800 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9682 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Europeans already think about Harry Potter, not about god Interaktive 11 1066 January 1, 2023 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3824 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15524 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger